Frost Damage to Rendered/Topped Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Like an idiot, I chose to render the top of a wall for a friend on what was the hot day last year. He has a brick wall and wanted to put a nice level top on it without using coping stones, and to set some fancing lights into it. The layer of mortar was about 1" thick and I kept it moist with hessian and dpm once it was finished. It did tend to dry out rather a lot - not a surprise. I used approx 1:4 cement:sand mix.
Come the frosts it has virtually disintegrated, lots of cracking and spalling, material has gone crumbly.
I know I made a mess of it, but can anyone advise which is likely to be the major mistake or is it the combination:
1: Doing it in v. hot weather
2: the ratio / materials used
3: Adding water to keep it all floatable, I can;t remember but I don't think I used a plasticer.

I've got to go back and sort it, and I'd like to do it right this time. I will wait until the risk of frost has gone though!

Sponsored Links
you should not really finish a wall with mortar but if you do...

.... use sharp sand (screed sand, concrete sand). mix it with cement at a ratio of 3;1 and it will set like bell metal. not too much water either, but do damp the wall down first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back