Frost damage to verge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

First winter in my new house and every morning I find lumps of mortar on the patio that have come from the roof verge. (see photo). The mortar is soft and crumbly and like an OXO cube (for the cooks among us). Very little if any cement content.

I'm happy to go up a ladder or get a scaffold tower and re-point it myself (when the weather warms up a bit) but don't want it to be an annual event.

What's the best way to tackle this with regards to preparation, materials to use and aftercare.

Thanking you in anticipation ...

SK

Attachments

• Roof Verge 2.jpg
    Roof Verge 2.jpg
    761.8 KB · Views: 155
Sponsored Links
Is this house new build or just new to you?
If new build (low odds with that verge) then get the builder back in.
If new to you then tower not ladders, rake out all that pathetic sandy muck, redo with 4:1 or 5:1 sand/cement, should get 20 years out of it

Oldbunotdead,
For my own interest as I also need to do this at some point,

When you say sand, do you recommend
- Sharp Sand?
or
- Builders Sand?

Thanks, SFK

Thanks, oldbutnotdead.
Yes the house is a new build. It's a one-off built by a local builder and then put on the market once complete.
The local council specified that no facia boards were to be used.
Having seen the quality of the work since moving in, the last thing I want to do is get him back to do more
shoddy work.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, oldbutnotdead.
Yes the house is a new build. It's a one-off built by a local builder and then put on the market once complete.
The local council specified that no facia boards were to be used.
Having seen the quality of the work since moving in, the last thing I want to do is get him back to do more
shoddy work.
:(

Nightmare. If you want the verge to look weatherbeaten and rough from day 1 (and make it more difficult to wodge enough muck in the gap) use sharp. Soft will be easier to work & give a smoother finish. Whichever, try and get 75mm or so under the tiles.

You actually need that to be re done completely and not just repointed - pointing will fall out this time next year.

I'm not sure that is going on with that angled piece of mortar below the verge, but that's just wrong and will allow water to just run down the wall not drip off away from it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back