Frost free freezer creating ice??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a 2.5 yr old Hotpoint frost free fridge freezer (FF200g), I discovered a small split 1/4 " long, in the cabinet of the freezer sometime ago, after noticing a large build up of ice on the floor of the freezer (NOWHERE else).

Hotpoint after LOTS of arguing effectively said "get stuffed heres £50 off a new machine now go away", despite this being the 2nd unit we have had with a split cabinet moulding (the 1st was refused on delivery because of it!!).

I've sealed the hole with a plastic compound designed to cope with - temperatures & is airtight, but the ice is still building up VERY heavily on the floor of the freezer (am now wondering if the hole was a red herring? as it produces no less ice, maybe more now its sealed up) it looks like water is coming in through or near a "vent"? about 6" above the freezer floor. in 48 hours it produces enough ice to freeze the bottom basket to the floor!

The door feels secure and tight when closed, no damage to the seals, the food is fozen consistently.

Any ideas what the cause could be, could it be repairable? So i can plan how to proceed next, call out an engineer, scrap it or fight with Hotpoint yet again.

Many thanks for any advice.

Dan.

Sponsored Links
drain hole blocked ,remove rear panel and you will see a tray with a hole in the middle on the back panel its blocked with ice and food waste .poke a long cable tie down there or defrost it for 24 hrs .

see "similar topics" at the bottom of the page.

"frost-free" freezers can get ice blockages in the ducts that the air is blown through, or the water drains away. You can manually clear it by leaving the freezer unplugged and door open for a couple of days (some of the ice is deep inside). Pull it away from the wall so you can watch the drip bowl on top of the motor. Clean it out and wait until it stops dripping and stays dry.

This is a common problem but luckily when you know, it is not difficult to deal with.

Meanwhile I would buy a Bosch and take out a 5-year warranty.

Frost-free freezers are just not as reliable and long-lived as simple ones.

You are entitled to argue with the makers and say it has not given adequate service.

p.s. I would defrost before poking the tubes

Sponsored Links
:D :D Thanks a million!

Took the inner panel off & voila, huge ice block, hole blocked as stated, gonna let defrost, not gonna risk a prod or poke knowing how pathetically weak these Hotpoints are now, its the LAST hotpoint ill ever buy i know that much, useless and just rude.

MANY thanks for the advice, I'm really grateful. (and the Mrs will finally think i'm great, so win win!!! :LOL: )

Enjoy the sun.

Dan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back