Frost protection or weather compensator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have moved in to a new build house in the past few months. Recently I have been getting problems where my heating is switched on randomly and for long periods (especially on colder days), even when the timer is set such that it should not be on at all. E.g. temperature on the timer is set to 16C but the heating is on resulting in the average room temperature to be in excess of 21C at all times.

The boiler is an ‘Ideal Logic 15’ and in the garage. There appears to be a thermostat (small white box) inside the garage. I also recall the developer previously mentioning that there was a sensor on the wall outside. I have read some other websites/forums and there have been discussions about frost stat, pipe stat and weather compensators. I am assuming that the box inside the garage is the frost stat, and the one on the outside wall is the weather compensator. Could it be a combination of these two things that are causing the heating to remain on? I’m not aware of there being a pipe stat fitted so I’m not sure if this is required instead of changing any existing configuration.

When I called the house developer initially, they sent a plumber out who said that this was the frost protection kicking in and there was nothing they could do to change this. I intend to contact the house developer again but was hoping to get some advice via the Internet first before they try to fob me off again.

Surely there is something that needs to be changed as I am finding it unbearably hot at certain times of the day and do not want to leave windows open due to safety reasons. Plus I dread to think what the gas bills will be. Also, I assumed that the frost protection would heat the pipes only, rather than the whole house for several hours.

Also, I am unable to tell if the hot water system is also being switched on at random times since I usually have the hot water timed to ensure there is always hot water available – is there a way to find this out? I can hear the boiler upstairs churning away constantly but cannot tell if it’s just the heating system or both water and heat.

Sponsored Links
Any time I install a frost stat I always install a pipe stat also, the point of the frost stat is to protect the boiler and the pipe stat switches it off again once the boiler is warm, the problem with installing only a frost stat is that the boiler wont ever heat up the garage enough to switch the frost stat off again unless you installed a radiator in the garage

• Thanks
Reactions: CBF

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back