Frost Stat Question

Great...I may know someone then who is a real handy man, who I trust and has done other work for us. My husband and I are not great at DIY sadly...we've done a bit of painting/stripping wallpaper/can wire a plug, but that's as far as it goes. Thanks

Sponsored Links
@MJN - yes, I am amazed that you all spend so much of your free time giving free advice to people online! So thanks to you all for that.
I'm also amazed (and saddened) that there appear to be so many so-called "professionals" operating in the heating field that do not know what they are doing.

@MJN - yes, I am amazed that you all spend so much of your free time giving free advice to people online! So thanks to you all for that.

Ah, well actually I'm one of the amateurs asking more questions than giving answers!

lol...sorry, I didn't read your other forum posts, but good that you're asking lots of questions and being interested in learning more, as well as contributing to the forum.

Sponsored Links
As @ianmcd the wiring is straight forward. Here's how it's done.

79369678.jpg

The tricky bit is locating the pipe stat in the best place:
  • It should be on the return pipe to the boiler so that the heated water has circulated through the heating system before reaching it.
  • Not too close to the boiler such that residual heat from the boiler is conducted along the pipe thus keeping it warm and preventing it switching on.

And what temperature to set it at:
  • If the pipe stat is in a normally heated part of the home I usually set it at 5 to 10 degrees above ambient room temperature. So for example if the ambient temperature where it is located when the heating was off overnight remained at around 16 to 18 degrees, and the pipe stat was set to 15 degrees it would never switch on and no frost protection to any external at risk pipes would be provided.
  • If the pipe stat is in an unheated area, a much lower setting of 10 to 15 degrees would probably be sufficient. [remember the pipe stat is primarily measuring the temperature of the water in the pipe, not the room temperature]

A frost stat is simply a switch, and the pipe stat is simply another switch wired in series, nothing complicated at all

As @ianmcd the wiring is straight forward. Here's how it's done.

View attachment 222811

The tricky bit is locating the pipe stat in the best place:
  • It should be on the return pipe to the boiler so that the heated water has circulated through the heating system before reaching it.
  • Not too close to the boiler such that residual heat from the boiler is conducted along the pipe thus keeping it warm and preventing it switching on.

And what temperature to set it at:
  • If the pipe stat is in a normally heated part of the home I usually set it at 5 to 10 degrees above ambient room temperature. So for example if the ambient temperature where it is located when the heating was off overnight remained at around 16 to 18 degrees, and the pipe stat was set to 15 degrees it would never switch on and no frost protection to any external at risk pipes would be provided.
  • If the pipe stat is in an unheated area, a much lower setting of 10 to 15 degrees would probably be sufficient. [remember the pipe stat is primarily measuring the temperature of the water in the pipe, not the room temperature]
Thanks for the info!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back