Frost stat question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hoping someone can help me me make sense of this:
We have the Honeywell frost protection kit connected to our boiler in the garage. I noticed that when the frost stat kicked in, the boiler was just staying on. Went out to look, frost stat was set to 5 and the pipe state set to 10, when I adjusted the pipe stat up to 25 it turned the boiler off - which made no sense to me?
But the same thing has happened again now, frost stat has kicked in, boiler has now been on for over an hour. What could be the issue?

Attachments

• 56AD69D8-C183-4992-94AD-FA8AB8F38D7D.jpeg
    56AD69D8-C183-4992-94AD-FA8AB8F38D7D.jpeg
    458.5 KB · Views: 73
Sponsored Links
If the boiler is new, then the 24v link might have been left in.

Hi, hoping someone can help me me make sense of this:
We have the Honeywell frost protection kit connected to our boiler in the garage. I noticed that when the frost stat kicked in, the boiler was just staying on. Went out to look, frost stat was set to 5 and the pipe state set to 10, when I adjusted the pipe stat up to 25 it turned the boiler off - which made no sense to me?
But the same thing has happened again now, frost stat has kicked in, boiler has now been on for over an hour. What could be the issue?
Did you leave the pipestat setting at 25C?
Also, if you move the setting up and down around the pipestat measured temperature is it switching/clicking on/off at itts hysteresis of say 5 to 8C?.

Did you leave the pipestat setting at 25C?
Also, if you move the setting up and down around the pipestat measured temperature is it switching/clicking on/off at itts hysteresis of say 5 to 8C?.
When I went out earlier, I moved that pipestat from 10 to 25, it clicked and boiler went off. Later on noticed boiler was running for ages again, this time moved pipestat from 25 to 30 and again it clicked and turned the boiler off.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the pipe stat is wired back to front, can you post a pic of the wireing in it, remember and isolate the power before removing the pipe stat cover

Strange one, maybe as CBW suggested, the 24V link may have been left in, kin hich case the boiler would just cut in/out on its own boiler stat but why would the pipestat override this then.
Does the pipestat have a adjustable hysteresis, maybe post the make/model, but still doesnt make much sense to me, maybe wired wrongly?

That’s the model, haven’t got a picture of the wiring at the moment, but back to front wiring could make sense as it’s working in reverse to what it should

Attachments

• 90CD1043-C43D-4901-938C-0D0DF1DCA2C2.jpeg
    90CD1043-C43D-4901-938C-0D0DF1DCA2C2.jpeg
    293.7 KB · Views: 97
The diagram shown
1670833232000.png
seems wrong but not what one first thinks. On reading the instructions it seems the pipe stat is not to switch boiler on, but in fact it is to turn boiler off.

The idea is boiler only heats the pipes just enough in cold weather, once pipes are warm they are not going to freeze, so boiler turns off what ever the room temperature is.

If I have miss under stood likely others could also get it wrong, so wall thermostat turns it on, pipe thermostat turns it off.

@ericmark is correct.

The froststat should be located in the area where pipes are judged to be at risk of freezing and set to around 5 degrees C. The froststat turns the heating on when the ambient temperature falls to 5 degrees C in the at risk area.

The pipestat is on the return pipe to the boiler and usually set to around 15 to 20 degrees C. When the return water going back to the boiler reaches this, the boiler is turned off. This prevents the radiators getting too hot as it's designed for frost protection only.

When the heating is in operation, the return pipe will be over 15 to 20C so the pipestat will be switched off allowing the normal heating controls to operate the system.

I suspect from your description of the pipestat operating in reverse that the use of terminals 1 and 2 are transposed.

@ericmark is correct.

The froststat should be located in the area where pipes are judged to be at risk of freezing and set to around 5 degrees C. The froststat turns the heating on when the ambient temperature falls to 5 degrees C in the at risk area.

The pipestat is on the return pipe to the boiler and usually set to around 15 to 20 degrees C. When the return water going back to the boiler reaches this, the boiler is turned off. This prevents the radiators getting too hot as it's designed for frost protection only.

When the heating is in operation, the return pipe will be over 15 to 20C so the pipestat will be switched off allowing the normal heating controls to operate the system.

I suspect from your description of the pipestat operating in reverse that the use of terminals 1 and 2 are transposed.
Thanks that sounds right from my limited knowledge, what is the easiest fix for this?
Is it something I could DIY or safer to get someone out?

I take it that the Honeywell wiring diagram is correct??

At night when both CH & Hw systems are normally programmed off; how does the water circulate if no zone valve opens?.

Thanks that sounds right from my limited knowledge, what is the easiest fix for this?
Is it something I could DIY or safer to get someone out?
For a start, just check that wires are connected in to C & 1 above in the pipestat, post #8.

@am_diy The Honeywell diagram looks correct. So, if there is a wire in terminal 2 move it to terminal 1. Only you can determine if you can do it safely.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

When the pipestat is above its set temperature, it is in the position shown and the circuit is open
When the pipestat is below its set temperature it moves so that C and 1 are electrically connected and the circuit is complete. [Assuming that the froststat is also 'on']

@Johntheo5 The frost stat should be wired to the heating zone valve so that it does open. The valve in turn starts the boiler. In a domestic setting it's not usual to link the frost stat to the hot water system as they are not normally at risk of freezing, unless the hot water cylinder is installed in a unheated loft or garage.

On larger systems with multiple zones, I have fitted a relay so that the frost system will open the motorised valves of all the zones.

@am_diy The Honeywell diagram looks correct. So, if there is a wire in terminal 2 move it to terminal 1. Only you can determine if you can do it safely.

View attachment 288719

View attachment 288720

When the pipestat is above its set temperature, it is in the position shown and the circuit is open
When the pipestat is below its set temperature it moves so that C and 1 are electrically connected and the circuit is complete. [Assuming that the froststat is also 'on']

@Johntheo5 The frost stat should be wired to the heating zone valve so that it does open. The valve in turn starts the boiler. In a domestic setting it's not usual to link the frost stat to the hot water system as they are not normally at risk of freezing, unless the hot water cylinder is installed in a unheated loft or garage.

On larger systems with multiple zones, I have fitted a relay so that the frost system will open the motorised valves of all the zones.
Thanks I will check.
When the frost protection kicks in, only the towel heaters heat up (this is the same if only the hot water system is running). None of the radiators come on with the frost protection. We have a two zone system, plus a separate control for the hot water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back