Frost stat issue.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an ICOS boiler in my garage with a Honeywell frost stat. It was very cold last night and this morning the boiler did not come on- swithcing it off and on again re started it. This has happened before when it is cold but I have read that if anything the frost stat should switch the boiler on not of? Any advice on this subject and the correct settings for the frost stat would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
What temperature is the frost stat set to?

Do you also have a pipe stat on the boiler return pipe?

If so, what is the temperature setting?

1. What temperature is the frost stat set to?

2a. Do you also have a pipe stat on the boiler return pipe?

2b. If so, what is the temperature setting?

Hi, I cannot see another stat anywhere- where would it be?
It would be attached, usually by springs, to the return pipe, that's the cooler one, near the boiler. The temperature marks will be low, e.g 10C to 40C.

Typical pipe stat:

View media item 10596
How about an answer to my first question?

Sponsored Links
Hi, the stat is set at about 4° and there does not appear to a pipe stat. This morning the heatring came on as normal.

Hi, the stat is set at about 4° and there does not appear to a pipe stat.
The lack of a pipe stat is the cause of your problem.

As long as the temperature in the garage is below 4°C the boiler will run until the garage temperature rises to over 4°C. As there is no heating in the garage you are then dependent on the weather.

If a pipe stat is installed on the return pipe near the boiler this will turn the boiler off when the water reaches set temperature (normally 20°C to 25°C).

The frost stat and pipe stat are wired in series so both have to be closed for the boiler to run.

View media item 27048

this morning the boiler did not come on- switching it off and on again re started it.
I understand that to read that the boiler did not come on in the morning under normal timed control. Which should have turned the boiler on regardless of the condition of the frost stat. And if there was a problem with the frost stat, would turning the boiler on and off rectify the fault?

I think mivek is assuming that the frost stat is causing the problem because the problem has only occurred during the very cold weather.

this morning the boiler did not come on- switching it off and on again re started it.
I understand that to read that the boiler did not come on in the morning under normal timed control. Which should have turned the boiler on regardless of the condition of the frost stat. And if there was a problem with the frost stat, would turning the boiler on and off rectify the fault?
You are quite correct in saying that mivec's fault is probably not connected to his frost stat. However, fitting a pipe stat is still a good idea.

As for the original fault:

1. Has it occurred again?

If yes:

2. What appeared in the display?

3. Did you try pressing the reset button for 2 seconds?

If yes:

4. What was the result?

Hi everyone, after switching the boiler off and on again it is working OK now. I think I will investigate the pipe stat and hope that it does not happen again. Thanks very much for all you advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back