Frost Stats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anyone advise whether there is a pipe frost stat on the market (not on Honeywell web site). I have lagged pipes in the loft but above loft lagging therefore could be at risk at night in very cold temps. A pipe stat coming on below 3-5 degrees would be ideal - enough to heat and circulate the water for a short while without heating the house, especially when house is unattended. Would mean a house could be left all winter with no frost fears. Would also solve the pipe work in garage problems.

Sponsored Links
Not that I've ever come across, you just put a normal frost stat on the wall. If you like you could have a normal frost stat and wire a standard pipe stat into it, so that the frost stat tells the boiler to come on if the room gets too cold, but the pipe stat shuts it down again when the pipes are at, say, 10ºC. Seen that done before, don't ask me how to wire it though!

The Drayton PTS1 looks just the job. The problem with a space frost stat is that the space has to heat up to turn it off - and, apart from having no radiators, you don't want to heat a loft or garage!

Sponsored Links
as muggles has suggested, you need to fit a frost stat with a pipe stat in series . the frost stat will kick the boiler on when the space is in danger of freezing temps and the pipe stat will knock the boiler off when the pipes are at a safe temperature. no need to heat the space at all.

The Drayton PTS1 looks just the job. The problem with a space frost stat is that the space has to heat up to turn it off - and, apart from having no radiators, you don't want to heat a loft or garage!

Thats why pipe stats are used in conjunction with a frost stat.

The amount of frost stats fit without pipe stats is unreal.

Thats why pipe stats are used in conjunction with a frost stat.

The amount of frost stats fit without pipe stats is unreal.

I go pass a building every now and then which has a frost stat outside the building,but I don't know if it's connected to a pipe stat, but judging by the quality of the install I doubt it.

these pipes that you fear will freeze, are they heating system pipes or domestic water pipes. If the latter I don't think a frost and/or pipe stats will help an awful lot.

Heating pipes.
If I'm away and particularly cold weather is expected I programme the heating to come on for an hour at 3 am which is an awful waste when all I need is to warm the water slightly when needed. Just got my last quarter gas bill - £500 - ouch!!!!! Interestingly that's £200 higher than last year for virtually identical useage of gas, more ouch! Electricity the same trend, even more ouch!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back