Frozen Cold tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been doing up a house for the last while and not living it, I always turn the water/electric off before leaving as its part of the insurance,

As thats the case I've not had the heating on and due to snow haven't been up for 2 weeks.

Went up last night to check for froozen pipes etc incase anything had happend and none of the taps where putting out water, Checked in the loft to find both the cold tank and the CH small tank completely frozen.
I'm therefore assuming most if not all the pipes have also frozen.

Any thoughts on how to sort this ?

My current plan is to wait till Monday and go up and bring some heaters up to the house start to defrost the pipes first and seeing if there are any breaks fix them if there are and the gradually defrost the main tank. Does this sound about right ?

Sponsored Links
What happens if a pipe has burst? You wont know until it thaws out, which could be any time and it will empty the tank into the ceiling below. It needs sorting out now.!!!!

Thaw out the tank and drain.

Andy

turn all the taps on, and the stopcock off, for a start.

then (it will take time) thaw out the nearest tap, and then the pipe running from it to the tank. do it with each tap before you start trying to thaw out the tank. then, at least, any leak will be small and manageable. If the tank is still frozen then only the water in the pipes can leak out.

then look up Climaflex (Regulation grade)

insulation will only slow down the rate of heat loss, so in extended cold periods, pipes will still freeze if there is no source of heat.

look at your WC and cistern to see if they are cracked :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back