Frozen Jobbies

Bit "out of the box" here,

How about temporarliy hook the toliet fill valve up to the hot water supply and flushing from above.

Rico
good That might just work rico.

did you think that up whilst sat on the toolit??? :D

Sponsored Links
Bit "out of the box" here,

How about temporarliy hook the toliet fill valve up to the hot water supply and flushing from above.

Rico

because it's already overflowing from the bowl?

bottle of propane and a torch is the way to go.. aim at ground level..

doesn't salt water + cast iron = rust?

Sponsored Links
Col,

He could empty the pan first, then tip hot water from a bucket down first to lower the level a bit.

Rico

I was thinking about this earlier, and it seems to me that a good solution is not to try to melt the ice by pouring hot water in from the top (until you heat the entire ice plug, the water you add will just stay blocked, and will cool and add to the ice plug). What you want to do is to melt it from below.

So I was thinking, if you can get access from underneath the blockage, for example by poking up from an inspection chamber, maybe you could put a steam generator hose (e.g. from a wallpaper stripper) to blow up into the pipe. The heat would hopefully melt the ice plug starting at the bottom, and the condensate and melted ice could drip down and run away.

otherwise, you can get electrical Trace Heating Wire that is wrapped round pipes to prevent freezing. I should think they would take a long time to warm up a frozen pipe full of ice, though.

Or have you fixed it already?

So I was thinking, if you can get access from underneath the blockage, for example by poking up from an inspection chamber, maybe you could put a steam generator hose (e.g. from a wallpaper stripper) to blow up into the pipe. The heat would hopefully melt the ice plug starting at the bottom, and the condensate and melted ice could drip down and run away.
Now that is clever, especially since any steam going up through any uneccessary pipework would eventually meet a trap somewhere and not enter the house. Cunning plan

Cheers for the suggestions guys, and laughs. Went back today and set up 3 electric fan heaters at the base of the stack and just let it do its stuff. 2 Hours later and im fixing the leaking WC Inlet and i hear a gurgling, open the toilet lid and sure enough. It worked magically. :D

Spoke to my dad today (Boss aswel) and he said that he used to just start a fire at the bottom of the stack when he ever came across that.... so was looking forward to starting a wee fire, ha ha. What is it with guys making fires. But no luck, was quite disappointed. Lol.

Cheers again guys, worst winter i've seen since starting in the plumbing so still trying to figure stuff out.

Alan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back