Frozen condensation in loft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved in this house about 2 months ago, we've been in the loft on various occasions and noticed no problems up there.

However, been up there this morning (to bring xmas presents down) and there is water dripping off the inside of the roof down one side (thankfully not onto presents)

I first thought it was a leak because of snow on the roof, but discovered it seems to be condensation - some of which is frozen (melting).

I'm trying to figure out the best course of action - below are things that may have contributed to it....

1) Its not been dripping long - currently only small patches of water which havn't soaked into boards yet.

2) today is the first time we used the gas fire downstairs for a long time - usually just had on for 10/20 minutes

3) usually just use central heating to heat house, not seen any evidence of damp in loft until today (last went up about a week ago)

4) Some of the condensation is frozen - should this happen?

I've read the topic on here in regards to this and i'm wondering if its related to using the gas fire? or could it be this is the coldest day and heat rising is causing the condesation?

Any help would be really appreciated as only moving in 2 months ago we're kinda concerned about hidden problems with the house (its about 15 years old)

Thank you
:)

Sponsored Links
have a look at the ventilation of the loft. Most often there is a gap at the eaves, check that it has not been blocked with insulation

If you have gable walls, you can easily hire a Core Drill and make 105mm holes in the walls, then you can put ventilation duct and plastic grilles in. With one or two holes at each end you will get a through flow of air to keep the moisture down.

Also see what you can do to remove the moisture load in the house: see

//www.diynot.com/wiki/building:condensation_in_houses

See also "similar topics" at the foot of this page

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back