Frozen Water Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am doing up a house and this morning when I went to the house. The water to the upstairs bathroom and anything that feeds off it had stopped (frozen). Once the heating was on for a while, everything started working fine.

I think it was caused because of the bath waste pipe hole (it’s bigger than what it should be and not cemented) and the water pipe run right next to it. I have filled the hole with some insulation.

I’m wondering, can I wrap some Rockwool insulation around the copper pipes? There is not enough room for that thick grey stuff to go around it.

And secondly, the pipes run over the ceiling of the single story kitchen. Should these pipes be insulated? They were there when I bought the house in summer this year. And they didn’t have any pipe lagging or insulation. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If the house is empty in these temps I'd drain it down every night while your working in there ;)

If your pipes are freezing mate try to lag every pipe you can.

Alternatively there is something called trace heating which prevents your pipes from freezing, I guess google will be your best bet on that.

Sponsored Links
Insulating the pipes will help but if there is no heat in the house, then they will eventually freeze.... Heating on and plug up that gap under the bath.. Had a custard last Winter who thought he'd save a few bob by turning off his heating for a month.... The icicles from the ceiling were really pretty and the shattered toilet cictern was a nice touch....

I do turn the heating on everyday when I go there. But obviously heating is turned on at night. Well the heating has been off since 5:30 yesterday, will see how it is today.
It's not a matter of cost about lagging the pipes above the kitchen, only issue is, I will have to break the plaster board of the ceiling.

Can someone tell me if rockwool insulation be wrapped on copper pipes?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back