FSU on Chimney Breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any regs which stipulate where you can put a FSU on a chinmey breast? The chimney breast is to have the fire removed and left open, but obviously consideration has to be taken for if a fire is to be re-installed. How would you run cables? The FSU is to supply a Plasma TV mounted where a mirror would normally be. Would placing the FSU behind where the TV would be, then running cable across and down side of chimney, be ok? Please can someone spread some light of the regs for this as i'm confused and in need of a little help

Sponsored Links
The cable has to run in the permitted areas if it is less than 50mm from the surface. If the chimney is truly redundant then you could use it as a handy cable riser. It will be much more than 50mm from the surface. You must make sure the cable is properly supported, of course.

Not as such......
However, the OSG, from 16th Ed 528-02-02:

"Electrical and all other services must be protected from any harmful mutual effects foreseen as likely under conditions of normal service. For example, cables should not be in contact with or run alongside hot pipes."

Now, when I last had an open fire, the chimney breast used to get too hot to touch purely from convective heat. that constant level of very hot air flowing up the wall of the breast must be damaging to the cables and FSU, let alone the Plasma screen. I'd most definitely recommend against this and take advice from the manufacturer about the possibility of damage to the screen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back