Wiring to illuminated cupboard in bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings all, and happy Friday!
I'm installing an illuminated (LED) cupboard in a bedroom (it's a bathroom cabinet, but daughter wants it for make-up etc above her dressing table).

I have added a new 2-gang socket near where the cabinet is going (had to run the new socket on a single T&E from a FSU as there was no room to run an extension to the ring behind the plasterboard as 2 x 2.5mm cables would probably have pushed the plasterboard off the dabs! The FSU feeding the new socket is spurred off the ring and the FSU is located in the loft (so not ideal access but easy enough.)

I have also extended the lighting circuit to put in some cabinet lights, but to get a live from the lighting down to the cabinet is a pig and I don't fancy taking a feed from the switch live to the new (separately) switchable cabinet lights, so I was wondering if I could wire the cabinet into the new spur, i.e. by taking another feed from the new 2-gang socket?

If so, should I add another FSU between the socket and the mirror lights? That whole spur can be isolated from the ring anyway, but should the mirror lights be able to be isolated separately from the rest of the spur (so we could, for example, change the mirror without isolating the rest of the spur). Fitting another FSU would be simple to do, just wondered if I actually need it?

Many thanks :)

Sponsored Links
If I understand correctly, your lighting circuit for cabinets is irrelevant to the proposed mirror cabinet
The fuse in the FSU is to protect the cable; if you are using similar cable to the lights as to the 2gang socket, then another is not essential.
Hope you are considering safe zones requirements for the cable routes..

Thanks Tony, and yes, all cabling is in safe zones in the wall voids. Where it disappears under the flooring in the loft we have marked the cable runs on the floor. 2-gang socket is wired in 1.5 T&E, was intending to run a further length of 1.5 to the mirror cabinet going directly up from the new socket, into the ceiling void, then vertically down to the connection on the mirror cabinet. The other lighting is totally separate from the mirror cabinet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back