Hiding Plasma TV cables...

CallEdsFirst said:
Loads of alternatives, and I don't wanna be turning this into an AV forum, but:

1. LCD better than plasma (IMHO, let's not start a war people) at nearly all sizes

2. DVD with scart output no good, needs component or HDMI if possible, which would make it an upscaling DVD which makes your old films a bit HD!

3. How long will you live here? Long term proposition or fixer upper?

Basically, when you pick a screen, go for as many HDMI inputs as possible, tiny lead, might even fit through 20mm conduit, avoid sources that only chuck out scart signals and consider the damage that will need to be repaired if you ever move the tv!

Cheers,

Does all new DVD players etc come with HDMI inputs. I like the idea of not using scart. I am looking at getting a 42" plasma. Read that plasma's were better than LCD's at this size. But I agree not to start a war on it.

Sponsored Links
GJK862 said:
I'm also having some trouble finding flexible piping or conduit big enough to fit the scart leads down without having to buy a long reel of it, considering I only need about five feet. I know I have the option of removing the scart plug and resoldering but I'm a bit concerned about it affecting the quality.

All ideas welcome... :confused:

You could always try spiral wrap for (a bit) of protection, not a good as conduit but saves you hacking the ends off

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Accessories_Index/Cable_Tidy/index.html

1. LCD better than plasma (IMHO, let's not start a war people) at nearly all sizes
Totally, lets not start a war, but I disagree with this. I don't think it's worth going into why because you (the OP) should go and view a variety of screens and then make your own mind up. But make sure when you do you watch what you'll be watching at home e.g. if 80% of your viewing is from SD sources make sure you check out Freeview/DVD and not just the beautiful demo HD-DVD/Blu Ray Discs most stores have playing all the time.
2. DVD with scart output no good, needs component or HDMI if possible, which would make it an upscaling DVD which makes your old films a bit HD!
Not sure I agree with this either. RGB or S-Video over SCART is pretty good quality (not quite as good as component but not that far off) especially if you have a decent DVD player and reasonable cables. As to upscaling, it's nice if your DVD player will do it and output it over HDMI, but it may be the case that your TV has a better scaler than the DVD player. I agree that HDMI is definitely easier to use than SCART though as it's smaller.

Another option is to get an HDMI capable amp - you plug all your devices into the amp and use it to switch video sources, and then run one HDMI cable up to your TV.

Anyway AVForums is the place to go for all this stuff so I'll shut up now ;)

Sponsored Links
Not sure I agree with this either. RGB or S-Video over SCART is pretty good quality (not quite as good as component but not that far off) especially if you have a decent DVD player and reasonable cables. As to upscaling, it's nice if your DVD player will do it and output it over HDMI, but it may be the case that your TV has a better scaler than the DVD player. I agree that HDMI is definitely easier to use than SCART though as it's smaller.

Just to clarify - what I'm trying to say is that if you already have loads of SCART gear don't feel like you have to replace it all to take advantage of your shiny new TV. But if you are replacing then yes, look for HDMI where possible.

CallEdsFirst said:
Loads of alternatives, and I don't wanna be turning this into an AV forum, but:

Curious why you believe LCD better than plasma
Absolutely agree - but depends how much you want to spend on DVD
I understand the recommendation for separating the leads where feasible. In my case did not have the space therefore had to run the power cable in the same trunking as the media box (Pioneer plasma). I could not see any difference in quality with the power cable and media cable touching or separated. In your case it sounds like you will have a few cables why not run some tests before committing to channelling out the wall

GJK862 said:
CallEdsFirst said:
GJK862 said:
Have considered using waste pipes as the conduit as they are wide enough???????????????????????????????????????????????????????

That's a lot of brick to take out of a chimney!

I agree, I must admit I wasn't looking forward to doing it but couldn't see any other way. I don't want to go down the false wall route either.

have you considered using a core drill to make the hall in the chimney and the one at the side. couple of hours hire charge and two neat holes with not a lot of dust if you keep the hoover running and close when drilling. probably a 3" hole would be big enough even for scart plugs

Sureitsoff? said:
GJK862 said:
CallEdsFirst said:
GJK862 said:
Have considered using waste pipes as the conduit as they are wide enough???????????????????????????????????????????????????????

That's a lot of brick to take out of a chimney!

I agree, I must admit I wasn't looking forward to doing it but couldn't see any other way. I don't want to go down the false wall route either.

have you considered using a core drill to make the hall in the chimney and the one at the side. couple of hours hire charge and two neat holes with not a lot of dust if you keep the hoover running and close when drilling. probably a 3" hole would be big enough even for scart plugs

Hadn't thought of that. Cheers

garden hose is good but dont try doing anything more than a very subtle turn (but i t can stick)

all the home based Diy stores have simple tubing in the electrics section,
dont forget to put a pull cord or two through before you install the conduit/piping.

i know the gardeen hose isnt the best idea as it can stick but i have run cat 5, video and audio through out my entire hose and it has worked brilliantly. extra pull cords are advised as you may want something extra one day or like me your far more clued up mate will pop round as the plasterwork is drying off and point out the extra cables you should have put in.

Or replaced the TV.

Maybe even with one of those wireless Sonys which made all of his concealed cabling effort redundant.... :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back