Chasing cables past wooden corner beads

As I understand it, it is viable to run a cable around the chimney breast and have a TV hung on the breast wall and a functioning fire below it as long as certain precautions are taken with the beads, the cable and either a fireplace mount or mantel to deflect heat away. ... As I understand it, some people are comfortable with doing this and some aren’t. I personally wouldn’t be comfortable doing it in my own home but that’s not to say that others shouldn’t if they feel confident. ... This particular thread is about a difference of opinion with regards to it currently, unless someone steps up and points out regulations that state something to the contrary. If said person does this then surely we need to take heed of those regulations?
As has been discussed, the issues which were raised in the OP, regarding plastering, plastering 'beads' etc., are all addressable within the requirements of regulations - provided that (and I don't think this has been discussed) the buried cable is kept within 'safe zones' created by visible accessories.

The differences of opinion have all related to the desirability of having the TV and wiring exposed to relatively high temperatures. AS for the former, that's really an issue for the OP to decide. The life expectancy of any electronic equipment (including TVs) is at risk of being reduced by exposure to high temps (the TV's spec may specify a recommended ambient temperature range) but this is nothing to do with Wiring Regulations, and something the OP has to decide about.

As far as the wiring is concerned, the differences of opinion are fairly inevitable, given the vagueness of the regulations, such as ...
BS7671 said:
132.7 Type of wiring and method of installation
The choice of the type of wiring system and the method of installation shall include consideration of the following:
(i) The nature of the location
(vii) Other external influences (e.g. mechanical, thermal and those associated with fire) to which the wiring is
likely to be exposed during the erection of the electrical installation or in service.
... and ...
BS7671 said:
522.2.1 In order to avoid the effects of heat from external sources, one or more of the following methods or
an equally effective method shall be used to protect a wiring system:
(i) Shielding
(ii) Placing sufficiently far from the source of heat
(iii) Selecting a system with due regard for the additional temperature rise which may occur
(iv) Local reinforcement or substitution of insulating material.
NOTE: Heat from external sources may be radiated, conducted or convected, e.g.:
- from hot water systems
- from plant, appliances and luminaires
- from a manufacturing process
- through heat conducting materials
- from solar gain of the wiring system or its surrounding medium.

The only really concrete thing in the reg is the fact that if the cable is (or may be) subjected to unusually high ambient tempoeratures, it's current-carrying-capacity needs to be 'de-rated', by the TV represents such a small load that this won't be an issue (and nothing else is likely to be plugged into the socket in question).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back