fuel mileage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so we've had E10 at the pumps in the UK for a few weeks now, so have the predictions about reduced performance & increased fuel consumption come true?

Sponsored Links
I have a modern 3 cylinder, 1200cc, turbo engine - not exactly the smoothest engine in the world, but blimey, does it run a lot rougher now.
Really noticeable at motorway speeds :(

Although this opinion is subjective, it's coming up to MOT time and the once a year the car has a drink of super unleaded!

I should hopefully have an objective result soon! ;)

Thanks for your response, the only one so far.
My old BMW is rated as suitable for E10, though I've stuck to E5 up to now it's getting sooo expensive; I'm sure retailers are capitalising on the demand.
I'll be interested in your results & hopefully others will post their experiences; good or bad.

Can't say I’ve noticed any difference in performance or mpg in my A3 or my scooter. I keep meaning to put the good stuff in and pick the pump with the highest E number and then I have a
24019AF2-BEB4-4F4B-8F3F-95472B0E846B.gif
moment!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'm sure it has had an effect, but for most people, it's likely to get lost in the "noise". I don't think I've ever had exactly the same mileage out of two tankfuls, even when running the same stuff!

However, I have a 30+ year old petrol car, which is not suitable for E5 - never mind E10! I ran it on E5, and replaced all the rubber fuel lines, but E10 was always going to be a bit more of a challenge. When the time came, I started using Super Unleaded. It doesn't do many miles, so it has probably only got through about 3 tankfuls since I startd doing that.

I always fill to the brim and keep accurate records of brim-to-brim consumption. I can't say I have noticed ANY difference in performance or economy, going from E5 to Super Unleaded, but 3 tankfuls is nowhere near enough to form a valid opinion.

What has happened, though, is that the car developed a bit of a misfire / hesitation. No. 2 plug was black, wet and sooty, compared to the others. Compression test was fine. Oil consumption (difficult to say after so few miles) doesn't seem to have changed, and it doesn't smoke any more than it ever did. In the end, I took the injectors out and tested them. No. 2 had a bad spray pattern.

Whilst it's only a theory at present, I'm wondering whether, after 30-odd years on E5, these extra "clean-your-engine" additives in the Super Unleaded fuels are starting to dislodge deposits and that's what has knackered my injector?

On a run (120 miles) consumption has dropped from around 51/52 mpg to 48/49 mpg - can't be more accurate than that.
Was going to give the car of a fill up of 'super' but the present price difference is silly.

However, I have a 30+ year old petrol car, which is not suitable for E5 - never mind E10! I ran it on E5, and replaced all the rubber fuel lines, but E10 was always going to be a bit more of a challenge. When the time came, I started using Super Unleaded. It doesn't do many miles, so it has probably only got through about 3 tankfuls since I startd doing that.
I always fill to the brim and keep accurate records of brim-to-brim consumption. I can't say I have noticed ANY difference in performance or economy, going from E5 to Super Unleaded, but 3 tankfuls is nowhere near enough to form a valid opinion.

I'm in the same position as you with a 35yo Range Rover that is rarely used (max 2K pa) always gets E5 & doesn't seem to have a problem on the original fuel system. Trouble is the only financially viable source of the 'protection grade' is our local supermarket, but that's got it's forecourt dug up & will be closed for some weeks I suspect; the last fill-up had to be at an Esso outlet recently & that was £1.86 per litre.

Being a confirmed cynic I can't see the Gov. acceding to demands to lower fuel duty as it's (their) avowed intent to rid the roads of fossil-fuelled cars as soon as anyway.

I'm in the same position as you with a 35yo Range Rover that is rarely used (max 2K pa) always gets E5 & doesn't seem to have a problem on the original fuel system. Trouble is the only financially viable source of the 'protection grade' is our local supermarket, but that's got it's forecourt dug up & will be closed for some weeks I suspect; the last fill-up had to be at an Esso outlet recently & that was £1.86 per litre.

Being a confirmed cynic I can't see the Gov. acceding to demands to lower fuel duty as it's (their) avowed intent to rid the roads of fossil-fuelled cars as soon as anyway.
I'm inclined to agree. There are various fuel stabilisers on the market (I think Millers do one). I've never bothered with them, because the cost of them brings it more or less in line with super unleaded, but now that the price of that has gone through the roof, I might re-visit the idea of additives!

I'm inclined to agree. There are various fuel stabilisers on the market (I think Millers do one). I've never bothered with them, because the cost of them brings it more or less in line with super unleaded, but now that the price of that has gone through the roof, I might re-visit the idea of additives!
The last time I considered this alternative the FBHVC had yet to recommend any product that fulfilled the claims made by it's manufacturer.

Seeing as I started this thread it's only right that I offer my own input.

I've been fuelling my 24 year old E39 with E10 to the point where I estimated the 70ltr. tank should be 50/50 with E10/E5.
So far I've not noticed any discernible change in performance; as to fuel consumption I've today topped off the tank with E10, so in theory it should now contain 100% of that fuel.

I'll update my economy/performance findings when I next fill up, probably in a weeks' time.

Seeing as I started this thread it's only right that I offer my own input.

I've been fuelling my 24 year old E39 with E10 to the point where I estimated the 70ltr. tank should be 50/50 with E10/E5.
So far I've not noticed any discernible change in performance; as to fuel consumption I've today topped off the tank with E10, so in theory it should now contain 100% of that fuel.

I'll update my economy/performance findings when I next fill up, probably in a weeks' time.
I use a phone app called "Fuelio" to keep tabs on our various cars' fuel consumption. One thing I've noticed, is that any slope on the forecourt (however slight) can have a significant effect on how much fuel you can get into the tank. Over a long period of time, of course, this will average out, but over a couple of tankfuls, I think it's virtually impossible to get a really meaningful picture.

Sponsored Links
Back