Mercedes GLA 250 and fuel consumption on Mercs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been casually looking at Mercs up to 10 years old.

Typically a 2007 Merc only does about 25 mpg.

But a 2011 onwards will do about 50 mpg.

What have they done to make them so much better on fuel consumption?

What year or models were the fuel efficient ones introduced?

Tony

Sponsored Links
What have they done to make them so much better on fuel consumption?
a. Put a computer in there to alter fuel consumption when it's being tested?
b. Claimed better figures without doing anything at all?
c. Bunged money in the direction of testing persons to supply whatever data was required?
d. All of the above?

Doesn't really matter in any case as the fuel costs are insignificant compared to the astronomical costs of repairs that Mercs and the like over 5 years old will inevitably require.

The fuel efficiency really is there!

I have asked several owners and they all agree they do about 50 mpg!

But why the good fuel efficiency ?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Its probably a completely new engine, Tony which is using the latest fuel injection equipment and their control, such as stopping fuel being injected on the overrun and so on. Other factors are the cylinder head design, 8 to 16 valves, automatic engine stop et al. Even today's tyres are claimed to play their part.
I would always take manufacturers consumption figures with a large pinch of salt.....!
John :)

Best of what ? I don't think he wants a brand new one. Hard to believe that in 4 years the mpg has doubled so I suspect we're not comparing models with the same basic engine

At present and this is also true for for 2007 I think ALL the car manufacturers are either heavily inventing fuel cons. figures or they are simply lying. On our old 2006 Volvo V70 I NEVER managed to get the figures claimed, no matter how carful I was going and that included coastin, car in neutral and switching the engine off at stops.

The makers figures are fiddled.

Remove spare Tyre, wing mirrors, too hard tyres.

But I have been asking owners and they confirm the very good fuel cons of the latest Mercs.

Tony

Last edited:
The following website is pretty good for real data re: fuel consumption.
I used 'Tiny URL' due to the length of the web address.
Looking at C class mercs - Automatic : Diesel :2006-2009 : Over a minimum distance of 1500 km.

323 data sets average fuel consumption 7.72 Litres/100km or 36.6 mpg.

http://map.tinyurl.com/hmokvvq

C class 2014 -2016
165 data sets 6.52 L/100km or 43.3 mpg
http://map.tinyurl.com/jpjpj2u

I guess most peeps are looking at their trip computer readout or not carrying out brimfill to brimfill mileage with all fuel inputs following 1st brimfill logged. If the trip computer is 87% accurate then the readout might be 50mpg with a reality of 43.5mpg.

-0-

Sponsored Links
Back