FUEL PROTEST

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody tell me why no one is batting an eyelid at the moment to the unbelievable price of our fuel. I recognise that fuel at source is more expensive so oil companies have to increase their prices but why oh why is the government getting away with robbing us blind. I heard a rumour that the transport fraternity is starting to rumble so what are they waiting for?? :eek:

Sponsored Links
If I were planning a fuel protest, I would be keeping it very quiet until the moment arrives.

petewood said:
If I were planning a fuel protest, I would be keeping it very quiet until the moment arrives.

and ill be away to get some fuel!

This is only my guess, but I would say any fuel protests would serve no useful purpose until after the elections. The majority of protesters were small businesses and owner drivers, plus a few farmers. Hardly your traditional labour supporters really. Any protests now and the Gov would take advantage and deliberately escalate the situation to gain support. Call them what you like but the protesters are not stupid. The public should of supported these people at the time and they would of achieved much more, having said that they did stop the Gov for a while.

We are now very close to the £1/litre barrier which is a very important psychological point. That is when the Gov could face an absolute onslaught of protest, much worse than last time hopefully. They cannot keep blaming the oil price rises because we are an oil exporter, the Gov makes more out of the rises too. They are in effect winning twice.

Sponsored Links
I would still go for a 'motorist's union' as a protest vehicle.
I'd hazard a guess that if HMG had said, "Ok Fuel Protesters, as of now we double the tax on private vehicle fuel usage and halve it for business use."
The protest would have stopped immediately and, any backing, private motorist would remain wondering just what he had been involved with .. certainly SFA to do with private fuel tax, was just a 'by product'.
:eek:

david and julie said:
The public should of supported these people at the time and they would of achieved much more, having said that they did stop the Gov for a while.

I think that the public DID support these people, certainly they supported the desired outcome. However, the public were not happy with the fact that WE were the ones who suffered with empty supermarket shelves and no petrol to drive with. The government wasn't really that bothered, a strike is basically a siege, and the government has enough manpower and fuel reserves to sit it out if they choose.

I sincerely hope that there isn't another fuel strike. The other day I was actually considering stocking up on tinned food just in case! :eek:

Plus striking, it's just so damned un-English. If you want a strike, you might as well just singing the Marseillaise :LOL:

Sadly it will be 90p per litre when the general election is over because as some of you know I work at the oil renfinery, the company has been warn by this government not to put the price of petrol up incase it effect the Labour voting. Blair & Brown cannot bring the petrol price down because the EU has decided that the petrol tax would not be reduced.

i was working as a police officer at the time and if it had gone on much longer it would have caused severe problems. Certainly in our neck of the woods, there was little in the way of fuel reserves for the cars and we were told to cut down on any journeys we made unless essential. we also had problems with people not being able to get into work.

somethings got to give though in all this, but as usual we get taxed to death and just roll over

Thermo said:
somethings got to give though in all this, but as usual we get taxed to death and just roll over
There is nothing that you, me & others can do anything about it. Blair & Brown has done a lot of damaged to this country by agreeing to the EU policy and it's against the law to protests against the EU. You have no right or freedom as Blair is signing England down the river.

Brown is Chanc. of Excheq.

Brown is the new Black.

Therefore, Brown's Market is the new Black Market.

Thus, under Brown's Exchequing, commodoties such as petrol become Black Market items. :eek:

to use a quote of old from that very nice man(NOT) Norman Tartbit(one of maggie's despicables) GET ON YOUR BIKE! and leave the car at home.

Wow, I'm glad I haven't got a gas guzzling monster, phew !!
. Oh :eek:

Learn to spell, Eddie M, you illiterate moron !!

Eddie, did you see the recent tv prog where they tested, both with and without the ABS, ESP Traction control etc goodies fitted to a Jag, on a frozen lake in Scandinavia ? Mr Needell the pilot was most impressed, especially driving around bollards at 70 mph and stopping under total control running standard tyres on snow covered ice, I am afraid the trapped snow wedge under the tyres did sfa as the car careered out of control with the goodies switched off !!
------------
Those of us in the majority with respect to fuel price should be running the protests .. This Govn would give ground if their beloved revenue was under carefully thought out siege ... If tis left to businesses to conduct the protest then we, the majority would end up with the scrag ends ...
Being associated with medical services meant we had / have access to protected fuel supplies, during the recent protests there were some pretty malevolent looks given to the lone person filling the tank to overflowing .. Thoughts drifted to a possible situation in the future where most might be priced off the road ... May not be the supposed nirvana for the few, surrounded with huge numbers of have nots .....

The oil burner is good for about 630 miles or so per filling.
How about a new central heating oil storage tank, as a diesel store ? Perhaps not legal but safer than petrol .. handy in a crises for the self employed's van perhaps ?
This has nothing on the ridiculous, highly dangerous endeavors by some during the protests..
:D

pipme said:
The oil burner is good for about 630 miles or so per filling.

Hmmm, twice what my car gets, 3 times what the big ole' Rover V8 was getting :LOL:

This has nothing on the ridiculous, highly dangerous endeavors by some during the protests

I was on holiday the last time it happened. What were people doing then? Trying to steal it or tap the pipelines?

Click For just one example ..
BTW, Apparently he walked, with a £1000 fine -- 8 months suspended sentence.
Where did they get the figure £130,000, to clean up the partial leakage of 80 litres stored in plastic dustbin ... ie less than that forming the leakage ?? Extracting the urine I think.

:D

Sponsored Links
Back