Full electrical rewire

Sponsored Links
I really cannot understand that which the problem is here.
I'm moving into my uncle's old house which is an absolute ruin - pretty much needs everything doing - extension, new electrics, windows, heating system etc etc. I'm looking to save as money by doing as much as I can myself. I rewired my current pad from scratch just before Part P came in and it passed a subsequent EICR with flying colours so when it comes to circuit design and SB etc, I'm pretty confident in my abilities, but I obviously need to deal with Part P and BC.
I'm well aware that no electrician will sign off an installation I've completed - it's possible I may find one that let's me do all the channeling and cable runs - essentially acting as their labourer with them overseeing and completing the job. I can imagine that would cut costs down a bit - that's if I can find one willing to do this....
Any other options I could consider

I'm well aware that no electrician will sign off an installation I've completed - it's possible I may find one that let's me do all the channeling and cable runs - essentially acting as their labourer with them overseeing and completing the job. I can imagine that would cut costs down a bit - that's if I can find one willing to do this....
You have given the answer to your own question.
"find one (Electrician) that let's me do all the channeling and cable runs - essentially acting as their labourer "

You can discuss that which you need with the anyone whom you will "contract" to perform the "wiring job" (and certify it - according to "Regulations") in accord with your specifications.

You wish to do the "grunt work" (to save money, otherwise charged by the "electrician") - who will then "certify" the "electrical installation.

It would be surprising if you could not be able to find many "electrical installers" who would be happy to discuss your requirements and and their "needs" and come to a mutually acceptable arrangement.

Think about it!
If the "customer" says to his "contractor"
"Tell me what I need to do to make your work as easy as possible",
is the "contractor" likely to refuse any such assistance?

I am opening a shop that has 3 phase electrics
I want to run 5 or 6 sunbeds
Each bed is approx 40 amps
Will this be OK?
What capacity is your supply (usually stated in kVA)?

Are the sunbeds single phase or three-phase?

I'm moving into my uncle's old house which is an absolute ruin - pretty much needs everything doing - extension, new electrics, windows, heating system etc etc. I'm looking to save as money by doing as much as I can myself. I rewired my current pad from scratch just before Part P came in and it passed a subsequent EICR with flying colours so when it comes to circuit design and SB etc, I'm pretty confident in my abilities, but I obviously need to deal with Part P and BC.
Any other options I could consider?

Go round the house and think through exactly what you'd like where; sockets, lights, switches, networking. Then go around marking on the walls the minimum you want with no external electrical work unless absolutely necessary. Now get a spark round to quote for wiring using white plates etc and to over size the CU to allow for future shower, car charger, o/s lights. They'll often tot up £50 per light, £30 for a switch, £75 per socket etc then add a bit to take into account awkward layout, solid walls etc. That's your base figure. Also find out how long they'd expect the job to take.

Depending on where you are in the UK, expect £3k as a minimum, perhaps £10k as a max for a three bed. If there are a lot of local sparkies, prices are lower, if they are few and far between, prices are higher. Just now, folk are tightening their belts, to jobs aren't as plentiful as say 12 months ago.

Also, remember sparkies are trained folk trying to make a living.

So there's a base figure. Now ask yourself, if you chased and drilled to make it easier for them before they arrive on site, and assuming you know where to run wires and place fixings to comply with the regs, would you realistically save them a manday? If the answer's no, then let them do the work. They have the chaser, the experience and probably an apprentice.

Don't forget, sparkies make a mess, put in all the wiring, AND TEST to make sure it's compliant and safe.

If you've come to your senses, get another couple of quotes, pick the middle one and have the work done. At the end of it you've got the basics and you can extend rings, add o/s lights and move lights to your heart's content. Then have an EICR done if you want to check your add-ons are up to scratch.

However, if your house is an absolute ruin, you're probably well away from the wiring stage. You'd be better off insulating the hell out of the place before new heating and wiring.

Sorry, brutal I know, but if you're trying to save a few pennies, chasing walls isn't going to save you much.

Sponsored Links
Your expectations of price are a few decades out of date.
Indeed. I would expect the best case scenario to be at least double that.
Probably true, but the lion's share will relate to 'labour' costs, so IF someone is competent to do it themself, then there is a large saving to be had, even if they pay LABC notification fees (and maybe also for a day's hire of test kit).

Any other options I could consider?
I had a look at the fees charged by Liverpool LABC (for an example). For an unregistered installer, the charge for notification is £456. If the installer is suitably qualified, the LABC reduces this fee by £150 (plus £30 vat). if the installer is not suitably qualified the fee is increased by £500 (plus £100 vat). If you were in Liverpool, you could notify the LABC and pay £1056. The £600 is the fee for the LABC to contract a registered electrician to test your installation and he/she will work with you. If you can find a 3rd party tester, you save the £456 and just pay the testers fee. In either case, you can do the work. I'm a registered electrician and this is the first time I have looked at the options for a DIYER/Unregistered Electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back