Full electrical rewire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm moving into my uncle's old house which is an absolute ruin - pretty much needs everything doing - extension, new electrics, windows, heating system etc etc. I'm looking to save as money by doing as much as I can myself. I rewired my current pad from scratch just before Part P came in and it passed a subsequent EICR with flying colours so when it comes to circuit design and SB etc, I'm pretty confident in my abilities, but I obviously need to deal with Part P and BC.
I'm well aware that no electrician will sign off an installation I've completed - it's possible I may find one that let's me do all the channeling and cable runs - essentially acting as their labourer with them overseeing and completing the job. I can imagine that would cut costs down a bit - that's if I can find one willing to do this....
Any other options I could consider?

Sponsored Links
I'm moving into my uncle's old house which is an absolute ruin - pretty much needs everything doing - extension, new electrics, windows, heating system etc etc. I'm looking to save as money by doing as much as I can myself. I rewired my current pad from scratch just before Part P came in and it passed a subsequent EICR with flying colours so when it comes to circuit design and SB etc, I'm pretty confident in my abilities, but I obviously need to deal with Part P and BC.
I'm well aware that no electrician will sign off an installation I've completed - it's possible I may find one that let's me do all the channeling and cable runs - essentially acting as their labourer with them overseeing and completing the job. I can imagine that would cut costs down a bit - that's if I can find one willing to do this....
Any other options I could consider?
If you know exactly what you want and where, feel free to go ahead and knock all the holes and chases, I can't imagine any electrician refusing to use them when you say 'I've discovered I'm not allowed to do it myself'

If you know exactly what you want and where, feel free to go ahead and knock all the holes and chases, I can't imagine any electrician refusing to use them when you say 'I've discovered I'm not allowed to do it myself'

And fixing conduits, and back boxes, running cables through the rafters etc to each socket???
I imagine/hope that the line for most electricians would be connecting the cables up and obv installing the new CU.

How is this likely to compare on cost with doing it all myself and using a NAPIT (if I can find one) to inspect and certify?

My son allowed a couple of guys to do some of the work, and they failed to get it done to the agreed time scale, and he said never again.

And this is the problem, electricians have been let down in the past, and so don't want to do it any more.

As to using the LABC you need to convince the inspector you have the skill, when I tried the inspector wanted to have EICR done at my expense which would cost more than getting whole job done with a scheme member.

Sponsored Links
As to using the LABC you need to convince the inspector you have the skill, when I tried the inspector wanted to have EICR done at my expense which would cost more than getting whole job done with a scheme member.

Yeah - the LABC looked a bit of a dog's dinner which is why I discounted it. Although the cost of an EICR set against a 3-4k bill for a full rewire, is pretty trivial.

And fixing conduits, and back boxes, running cables through the rafters etc to each socket???
I imagine/hope that the line for most electricians would be connecting the cables up and obv installing the new CU.

How is this likely to compare on cost with doing it all myself and using a NAPIT (if I can find one) to inspect and certify?
It will cost you the same as if you hadn't done it. I give no discount for people trying to do bits themselves. (It usually needs redone anyway.)

Then I certainly wouldn't hire you lol
Well I'm just being honest with you - you shouldn't think that doing it yourself will save you money. Most Electricians won't entertain customers doing the work themselves. And believe me there is far, far, far too much work to choose from.

Reading around a possible solution may be to employ someone to fit a new CU and multiple stub circuits as the expansion of an existing circuit isn't notifiable, except for the bathroom of course.
Thoughts?

Reading around a possible solution may be to employ someone to fit a new CU and multiple stub circuits as the expansion of an existing circuit isn't notifiable, except for the bathroom of course. Thoughts?
That approach has been suggested and discussed here on a good few occasions and, despite what some people think about the 'spirit' of the notification rules, it's hard to see that it would actually break any of those rules, as they are written.

As I'm sure you know, you have identified the only three types of work which remain notifiable (in England). In fact, as far as bathrooms are concerned, it's only work in bathroom 'zones' that is notifiable - so you might well be able to do (as part of your 'extension of circuits') the lights (including switches), if the room is more than 2.25m high - probably leaving only an electric shower and any shaver socket etc. for the electrician..

You would, however, probably have to find a 'sympathetic' electrician, since I suspect that a good few might be (unnecessarily) 'nervous' about your approach and/or would hike their prices to something a lot more than 'stub' circuits would really justify. They would, of course, have to test (and document test results) for each of the 'stub circuits' in just the same was as if they were 'full circuits', so there might be a little more of their time/cost involved than one might at first think.

I presume that you would have to be careful to ensure that the 'stubs' corresponded to the 'right sort of circuits', with the right protective devices. In particular, if you wanted to have any ring final sockets circuits, I think you'd have to make sure that the electrician installed 'mini rings' (even if only one or two socket), since changing a radial to ring circuit might, in some people's minds, constitute 'installing a new circuit' (hence notifiable).

You probably should also consider what sort of 'stub' could be said to be 'a circuit' (which could be 'extended' without notification) without too much argument. I would think it would be wise for every 'stub' to be connected to 'something', like a socket or a light (via switch), since just connecting MCBs/RCBOs in the CU to nearby junction boxes/whatever might be regarded by some as "taking the pi$$" - hence possibly at least some scope for 'arguments'.

Finally, I imagine that you would have to get at least some of your 'extensions' at least partially 'installed' (but not connected to anything), 'ready to be connected, before the electrician did his/her work, or else you'd have a period with no sockets, lights or anything.

I suspect that some people here won't be 'happy' with the approach!!

Kind Regards, John

After using the LABC for one job in mothers, and having problems getting to accept I was qualified, and them wanting in essence multi EICR done one at each stage, which in the end they did accept my qualifications.

When it came to full rewire, I had bare bones done, and then I expanded on what had been done.

On selling the house I at first could not find the paperwork, and tried to get replacements, told it would take 4 months and I would need to pay for the time it took a council worker to find them. In other words not available.

When I did find the paperwork and looked at it, I realised it was useless in the main, as nothing had been linked, so three installation certificates, two compliance certificates, and a completion certificate and nothing to show what covered what or linked with what.

The same with the house I bought, a lovely certificate which seemed to cover whole house, but then found it covered the lower floor only, the two floors above it were fed from a fuse box hidden in the ceiling.

So if you get a bare bones rewire, as I did with mother, where I stipulated no radials, all sockets must be on a ring final, then easy enough to then expand without doing work which requires notifying. And the electrician doing my mothers it was agreed he did not need to make good, after cutting channels, I did all plastering and painting.

a possible solution may be to employ someone to fit a new CU and multiple stub circuits as the expansion of an existing circuit isn't notifiable,
A solution to what? Saving a few £100s on the notification fee?

If you want to rewire your house yourself, then pay the BC notification fee and get on with it.
Pat P did not change who can/can't do electrical work, only that some types of work need to be notified.

If you consider rewiring your house is beyond your capabilities, then pay someone else to do it. Part P hasn't changed that situation either.

a 3-4k bill for a full rewire,
Your expectations of price are a few decades out of date.

It never works out having the customer doing most of the 1st fix,

Unless you are BRILLIANT, there is a good chance you could do exactly what the electrician doesn't want done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back