full length wardrobes from MDF - how to make look like wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I am building two full-length built-in wardrobes from MDF, with sliding doors. They will require side panels as they do not run from wall to wall. So those side panels will meet the back wall. Also as we have high ceilings there is about 400mm above the opening - again, plan is to use MDF to build a "wall" above the opening to the ceiling. This panel will join to the ceiling, and we are not having cornice. I want it to look like the wardrobes are part of the house, not added later.

I've done this a few times in the past using plasterboard which is later skimmed so the wardrobes did feel like part of the building fabric and it made painting them easy as it was the same as the rest of the room. But this time that is not possible this time and I am sticking with the MDF.

I've got three main questions/concerns:

1) how do I mask the inevitable gap between the edge of the MDF panels, and the walls/ceilings? The walls and ceilings are newly skimmed plasterboard and are pretty flat, but there is bound to be a gap of at least a few mm in parts. how best to fill that gap? caulk?

2) the good old "how to finish MDF edges". The edge of the front panels will be flush with the side panels if you see what I mean. So the sides of the front panels will be visible.My plan is to use wood filler to cover the edge and the join and sand it down.... but it's about 10m of edge. I think it's the only way to get the right finish, but happy to be told there is a less labourious way to do it

3) I will end up with MDF external corners on the wardrobes, which I imagine is pretty prone to getting bumped and scuffed and damaged. The only thing I can think of to mitigate this is to use a small roundover bit to take the sharp edge off. Worth it? Any better plans? I'd have to use the woodfiller on this too of course to get a smooth finish.

I appreciate pics would help - I'll try to get some tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
how do I mask the inevitable gap between the edge of the MDF panels, and the walls/ceilings? The walls and ceilings are newly skimmed plasterboard and are pretty flat, but there is bound to be a gap of at least a few mm in parts. how best to fill that gap? caulk

I would say scribe the mdf so there is almost no gap, then caulk as necessary.

the good old "how to finish MDF edges"
I would suggest sanding the edges through the grits down to 320g -so the edge becomes almost burnished, it wont then absorb as much.
Ideally make using moisture resistant mdf which is less fluffy

I can think of to mitigate this is to use a small roundover bit to take the sharp edge off
thats a good way to do it (Wealdon tools are great for router bits, better than Trend and cheaper)

I fitted out a garden office with 18mm mdf and I screwed the boards in place with these screws and filled the holes with filler -they are invisible -they just need screwing in gently so they dont go too deep

https://www.toolstation.com/lost-tite-screw/p33733

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back