Full plans submitted, boundary wall question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

Some of you may know from my last posts were currently in the process of extending our kitchen.

We did a full plans submission and put in a prior notice. This all passed off no issues.

We had our architect do the drawings so the extension was offset by 300mm from our boundary line, this was so we could have fence pannels still seperating our propertys. At the time we thought this was just easier and didnt want neighbours having to look at our brickwork.

We spoke to them the other day about work starting soon and told them the fence wouldnt be down for long. They said why dont you just brick it up to the boundary, they didnt mind. We also thought a fence would help with noise etc if balls were kicked up the wall but at the end of the day we get on well with them so realistically it shouldnt be a problem

So now i am thinking, how hard is this to change now in terms of planning?

Prior Notice was served in november, passed off in december. Council said plannin pernission not required and work could begin. Our neighbours at either side and at the rear got letters. All good.

It would be worth it as i could gain 300mm internal space, and would mean i no longer need to box in some of the old kitchen to make the wall flat where old walls meet new.

I know the architect will need to ammend drawings and likley cost. Not buying fencing will make that up!

Just toying with what options i have currently before we dig.

Sorry if this sounds odd i can post some drawings if required

Sponsored Links
Sounds obvious but if you are already using an architect discuss it with them and they should sort out what needs to be done.

You'll need to allow for the gutter/ eaves projection, or design a box gutter - or parapet. However, unless the design includes a parapet, you can't add one without resubmitting for permission.

Moving a wall 300mm sideways may impact on any 45° code. If it don't, you could potentially do it as a minor amendment, but strictly it will need a new application.

Hmm, ok.

Well guttering is on the front. I think upstands will be on the sides as it will be grp roof. But theres still soffit to account for.

I have attached couple pictures.
Screenshot_20200108-235223_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20200108-235311_Drive.jpg

Oh and, we didnt go wider on the side where the toilet is because it limits access to garage at the rear.

Sponsored Links
Sounds obvious but if you are already using an architect discuss it with them and they should sort out what needs to be done.

I know mate, i Left him a voicemail today. Waiting for a call back. I just like to hear different opinions.

Got him on the phone yday. He explained i could of built on the party wall line, but as its council next door he said theres pretty much no chance they will agree to let me do it even if the occupants dont mind. He said its a shame as it would of been ideal as they dont mind me doing it.

He did say though i will still require a pier step anyway for the steels, i didnt think about that. I thought it could sit on a padstone on party wall. He said it would cause the joined property trouble if they wanted to extend as i will have a steel in there.

He said with the prior notice we did, i can pinch more space as long as i dont go past my boundary wall with anything.

So really i am just best keeping it as it is!

Council or not, they can't stop you building on or across the boundary as the PW Act gives you the right to do so.

The council housing dept and the council planning dept are distinct, and the requirements and regulations that each follow are different.

Regarding the steels, there is no requirement for a pier unless the engineering calculations explicitly require one. If you don't want a pier, tell the structural engineer that, and he'll see what he can do.

Hi woody,

Are there big costs involved with party wall agreements?

I only ask as theres quite a lot of people saying it takes ages and can be a few grand at least

Last edited:
There are costs. It may depend on how anal the council [housing dept] want to be with procedures. They may just look at it and give the OK, or they may want to appoint a surveyor at your cost. But you can use the single surveyor if you like. Do a search on threads for possible costs and process.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back