Full renovation planned... any tips?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've lurked around this forum a lot recently reading up on peoples' experiences, and its a great resource... a credit to those experts here who provide some much of their time to help out newbies like me :)

A bit of background.. I bought my council house a few years ago, and its a bit run down, a bit of a mess, and I want to invest in making it a nicer place to live.

Today's post is really only about the downstairs (there are 2 bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs, but I think I need to resign myself to doing them up later!)

To summarise;

I'm planning on making the kitchen/living room open plan.
Incorporating a small utility room - expanding on the (admittedly quirky) under-the-stairs WC that I already have. This also seems to require moving the back door.. and a sliding door between Utility and Kitchen.
Probably replacing the Baxi back boiler with a capable combi.. as well as underfloor heating in the kitchen.
Nice slatey-style tiles in the kitchen.
Nice wood floor in the living room.
New Kitchen appliances and units and tiling
Nice Gas fire in the living room.
Skimmed and decorated througout.
Spotlights throughout.
... thats enough for a summary I think!

Now - I have a relative who is an architect and has helped me with some sketches.

Now, down to why I am here. I'm not looking for quotes so please don't "moderate" my post! I am curious as to how people think I should stage this work... should I get a single "contractor" to take care of everything, or should I get seperate tradesmen? Should I try to source my own materials, or hope for better tradesmen's discounts? Does this sound like I might get change from £20K? - or does that again depend on single contractor vs tradesmen?

Yes, I have a massive couch and bean-bag which are in the drawings!

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Pete

View media item 1542

Sponsored Links
Hi, Pete,
I can only give a personal view, but I would take a look round the outside of your house first before you indulge in what will be little more that a tarting up exercise.
Have a look at how the property looks to someone new walking up to it, as if they were going to buy, (ok you may not have any intention of selling, but...) Are the widows double glazed, are they sound, is the paintwork peeling etc, are the path and other areas of garden neat? fences need work? etc.
Does the roof need any work? chimney need pointing? flashings ?
I won't go on.
The internal work doesn't sound to onerous, and the knock through will need a drawing for building regs at least.
As your house is ex local authority you might check first what you are and are not allowed to do.
It is not true that internal work does not need planning.
The rest just needs thinking about.

Hi Chessspy,

thanks for the feedback.

I haven't given much consideration to the exterior - mostly because I'm not planning on selling in the near future. But I'll certainly give it some thought (it has reasonbly new windows, but could probably do with a fresh coat of paint at least... and the garden's definately a mess!)

I'll speak to the local authority and see what permissions I need for the interior alterations.

thanks!

Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back