Full skim of a 3 bed semi - Options - What to look out for?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Before getting some further quotes for a full skim of a three bed semi, just thought I'd ask on here on what to look out for in a good plasterer.

The entrance, hallway and landing has a light artex swirl pattern. Some of the room also have reminants of old artex under the wall paper.

Asbestos has not been confirmed yet but I intend to get it checked.

What price bracket are we looking at for a full replaster?

The property has period rounded wooden corner beading which is scored on each side. I actually like this look if neat and wondered how many plasterers would be skilled enough to keep this while skimming or replicate it elsewhere if required. I have had one quote thus far from a young lad who just rolled his eyes and said he preferred to rip it out and put square beading on as it was more popular.

Also, how bad does a wall need to be to require a reskim? Could a good decorator be all that is required in many circumstances?

Many thnaks

Sponsored Links
This may all be wrong :) as im not a plasterer but when checking the walls, tap on them to see if they sound hollow, if it does its not attached to the wall properly and will need redoing.

Ive just bought a house, took the plaster off a m high all round the bottom and took all the damp plaster off any other walls. House 2 bed terrace, 4 rooms and an awkward hall/stairs/landing rooms are 15ft x 13ft.
I put mesh membrane all over the walls to stop any damp that might come through, (had a dpc put in as well) for all the replastering it cost £3000, all walls and ceilings backed and re skimmed. As I went back to brick they put square edges on which I think looks better but each to their own.

I just looked at his past work and found him on another job so could see what he was like when working.

hahaha, just seen your in Nottingham too.

If you want to see some pics send me a message to [email protected] or find me on facebook. Nathan t-roy sulley - theres only 1 of me!

Could you take some photos of the rounded corner beading ? Rounded corners do look great in the the right places. And there simple enough to do. If some walls don't look to bad you can always use easy fill and sand them off. Light swirly artex can be skimmed over no problem, you will struggle to get 3 quotes that will come in around the same price it all depends on the plasteres and how they work. We price per room and aim to do a room a day so we Base a room on day rate + materials. Some plasteres might prefer to take 2 days on a room, so prices will be quite different.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back