Funny smell in bathroom - coming from concealed cystern??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have just moved back into my flat from having work carried out including the bathroom.
The plumbers fitted a new back to wall toilet pan, shower, bath and basin. There is a funny smell which I think is coming from the cystern? (I put my nose right up to it and it pongs). Can't discribe the smell but wondered if it was the cystern as that is the only thing they didn't replace...

Any ideas?

Thanku! ;)

Sponsored Links
You wouldn't have an automatic air vent concealed behind the wall by any chance would you?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies!

Well they fitted the bathroom about 10 months ago - it was the first thing we had done. I thought they were very good at the time, as the tiling and the shower installation were excellent, however there were a few hiccups which they came out about 3-4 times over. Then they got a bit funny, all of a sudden and said "this is the last free call out we will be able to do?".
Technically, as they didn't install any new cistern, I think I will have to pay for this (searching on similar posts on this site and the web suggests I may just need to clean the inside of the cistern?)..

How would I be able to see whether I have an automatic air vent? Luckily I am an end of block flat so will look tonight to see if any vents or similary from the outside...

Sorry - got me banter wrong there. I should have said "air admittance valve"(AAV) instead of "automatic air vent" (AAV).
The valve would look something like this:
About 6 to 7 inches in diameter stuck on top of a 4 inch plastic pipe. They're meant to allow air into the soil pipe, but not out. Not surprisingly they go wrong and stick open. If you've an access panel for your concealed plumbing whip it off and have a shufti.

Hi cmother 1, sorry for not being able to respond sooner.
Thank you for your post - I managed to get the shelf off which the cistern sits behind (the shelf goes along the length of the bathroom).
It really pen and inked in there and the ball valve etc was very mouldy. I attempted to bleach as much as poss and dropped a cistern block in there, to try and cure smell...
Unfortunately I cannot see where the AAV valve is in my loo? Its difficult to view anything apart from the top of the cistern and there is a white pipe on the left of which the water doesn't cover, which I assume must be some kind of overflow pipe...
Maybe I'll wait a few days to see if the bleaching works...
Krgds,
Catluver8

CL8 - there's no guarantee you'd have an AAV, but they are common in flats which have multiple connections to the soil system.
Sounds like a plain old case of mould - doubtless caused by lack of ventilation in the space occupied by the cistern. If you can improve this (vents top and bottom?) you should at least be able to keep the mould at bay. Otherwise it's keep the bleach and the Marigolds handy, I'm afraid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back