Smell coming from toilet now the sistern?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi in my downstairs toilet i have had a smell in the downstairs bathroom which smells like a sewage smell its not any pipework this has been tested.

What we done 2 nights ago was to make a air tight seal on the toilet last night i poked my nose into the sistern and the smell was coming through the water what could this possibly be?

Sponsored Links
is the water level high enough in the pan after you have flushed the toilet ?

by rights if the pan is to right level the smells shouldn't come back past the water trap.

whats the cistern filled by mains water or tank ?

Sponsored Links
Blocked manhole!

When a toilet is flushed you can get air from the manhole. Lift up your nearest manhole and check.

Andy

Is this an upstairs or downstairs toilet? Are you in a house or flat?

At a guess, I'll say downstairs toilet in a house.

Hi its a down stairs toilet directly above is or ensuite which is plumbed into same system but no smell in there at all

Is it sited on a suspended floor? Could there be perhaps another connection into the sewer pipe below the floorboards that has come adrift?
This happened in my downstairs loo, the sink waste ran under the floor and had popped out. It was very difficult to identify where the smell was coming from. There were a few hairline cracks in the pan and my first thought was some waste water was lying in the voids of the pan moulding.
Fitted a new loo anyway (didn't fancy a cracked loo collapsing under me anyway!) and when I was fixing a couple of loose floorboards discovered the wayward pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back