Funny tasting Water filter - all cold taps drinking water?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've fitted a filter tap for drinking water. It's an in-line filter cartridge on a sink in the utility room, not the kitchen sink where the mains feed comes into the house.
The water doesn't taste right. When it was new it was OK when fresh and cold, but when it got to room temperature it had a funny taste, but since switching the in-line filter after 6 months for a supposedly decent (based on amazon reviews) , 'approved' one it seems to taste funny all the time.
We've been using it for a month or so now, so it's not just running in!

The hot water in our house comes from a Gledhill Boiler mate, not sure if that changes anything. Wondering if perhaps the other cold water taps in the system go through anything funny, or are they all just run off the main feed? (I imagined all cold water taps would be the same cold water feed, but I know the boikermate systems do a few things different to other systems )

I could just replace the filter with another brand (or can I run two in series lol ) but it depends if I'm missing something!

Sponsored Links
It doesn't get the cold feed from the heater tank in the loft does it?

No, there's no tank in the loft. Some sort of expansion tank in an upstairs cupboard on the second floor. But I'm pretty sure the valve was even turned off to that when I found it so I'm confident that it isn't used.

Sponsored Links
We used to have a water filter that you put in the fridge but i found that after a month or so with that the water started to smell odd. Perhaps it's just the stagnant water in the filter?

Any way of taking the filter out to check it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back