Further to earlier thread re dripping from pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again

Further to my thread of earlier this week

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=111731&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

I'm pleased to report that the dripping has completely stopped which has put my mind at ease...slightly...epesh as my regular plumber can't get out to me for 10 days or so.

But now I have another little problem. Since the dripping began, there has been an increase in noise from (I think) the pump. It's a droning/humming noise which is running through all the pipes and can be heard in every room in the house. It's a little on the annoying side to say the least.

What I'm wondering is does the system need topping up with Fernox to reduce this noise (Fernox last put in boiler March 06).

Normally the boiler is whisper quiet that there are times I have to go and check to see if it's still working :LOL:

I'm not imagining the noise increase either cos my husband can hear it too :LOL:

Thanks in advance for any advice

Sponsored Links
It could be the water dripping out of the pressure relief valve has caused the pressure in the system to drop too low. Check the boiler manual re adding water, usually the system should be at 1 bar approximately when cold.

The dripping may have been caused by a loss of the air charge in the expansion vessel, or a duff PRV. Something to be checked when the techncian arrives.

Thanks for your reply Onetap.

The pressure is at just a little bit over 1 when cold and hasn't dropped at all since all this started.

Another thing to report is that when the boiler fires up we can hear water/air rushing through the pipes. Is there anything we can do to sort this out?

Thanks again for any replies :)

Sponsored Links
Air in system.
Try this. Switch heating off, let it settle a bit, then bleed radiators.
Don't forget to top up.

Thanks StarDanny

Husband has just bled all the rads, air came out of one of them.

We're going to see if that helps now.

Thanks again for responding

:LOL:

Well we don't have the rushing sound through the pipes now but the pump is still humming a nice song. :evil:

I will ring plumber tomorrow and see when he can come out - here's hoping he can make it whisper again.

Thanks again for all help and responses

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back