Fuse allocation recommendations for CU in a bungalow

Unfortunately the majority of people just don't want to pay for all RCBOs. I personally love them, and wouldn't consider installing anything else for myself.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately the majority of people just don't want to pay for all RCBOs. I personally love them, and wouldn't consider installing anything else for myself.

yip, i agree with you. But we are getting them with free installation !:rolleyes:

DS

yip, i agree with you. But we are getting them with free installation !:rolleyes:
Haha true, and cheaper! But in the grand scheme of things, particularly on a full rewire (or new build) it's not that much more money.

Sponsored Links
I imagine that most people would probably agree with you - but, as you say, the price differential (albeit not as great as some imagine) is currently sufficiently large to put very many people off. The one thing that would make RCBOs even more attractive to me would be an indication of whether a trip had been due to over-current or residual current, since fault-finding can sometimes be a little frustrating when one doesn't know.

Kind Regards, John

I imagine that most people would probably agree with you - but, as you say, the price differential (albeit not as great as some imagine) is currently sufficiently large to put very many people off. The one thing that would make RCBOs even more attractive to me would be an indication of whether a trip had been due to over-current or residual current, since fault-finding can sometimes be a little frustrating when one doesn't know
That would be useful, but in the, probably 5 years they've been in at my parents now, there have been a grand total of 3 trips - they know to tell me now:
1. Halogen lamp blew
2. Flourescent control gear exploded (literally)
3. Oven circuit (only one that's an unknown fault)

I think the downfall of not knowing if it's overload or earth fault more than outweighs the potential issues of taking out one half of the board on an earth fault, particularly if it's N+E and a pig to find.

That would be useful, but in the, probably 5 years they've been in at my parents now, there have been a grand total of 3 trips - they know to tell me now ....
Sure, in terms of my own personal installation, with the very few trips of MCBs or RCDs I've experienced in the last 30+ years (whilst living with a large number of RCDs and MCBs), I think I've virtually always known, from circumstances, which has probably tripped before even looking.
I think the downfall of not knowing if it's overload or earth fault more than outweighs the potential issues of taking out one half of the board on an earth fault, particularly if it's N+E and a pig to find.
I think you may have got those words a bit 'the wrong way around', but I agree with what I think you meant to write, and wasn't meaning to suggest that the lack of an indication is a reason for not using RCBOs - I meant that they would be even more attractive if they did have such an indication.

Kind Regards, John

I get on with UFH well and wouldn't now tile a floor without putting an element in and purely used for comfort and not to provide primary heating.
How strange that you've not heard of rugs, socks, shoes, slippers etc.

How strange that you've not heard of rugs, socks, shoes, slippers etc.

Thats_nice.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back