fuse blowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, a fuse on my consumer unit keeps blowing it's a 5 amp for the oil heating. it started to happen after i installed a new light fitting on my bathroom ceiling with a additional light as well.the old ceiling rose had lots of wires going into it,i drew a diagram of this and disconnected the wires and took it up to the other side of the ceiling reconnected the wires am sure i put the wires in the right places! the lights work fine everything else works sockets etc so why is this fuse blowing it's the heating fuse not lights! i know i must have done something wrong but what!

keith

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
oil heating and 5a fuse? that does not sound right

but thats whats there no mstake when i put a fuse in i can see the the switch for the heating and there' a bang going off there

If there's a bang there's obviously a fault ( Am I stating the obvious ?)

If you keep replacing the fuse you may kill your timeclock and such things (they don't like faults much)

Get it checked as the problem is probably a coincedence.

Sponsored Links
thanks baldelectrician will take your advice am thinking it's a coincedence myself, bad timing maybe clouding the issue!!
keith

it's ok now!!! had a look at the switch that gives of a bang, theres a wee live wire that leads to a red light seemed to burning out or something at the centre cleaned it up a bit stuck a fuse in and it now works.there's another switch that controls the pump that has a red light that is not as bright as it was before, could that be a indication that there's less power going there?however it seems to work!!!

keith

If you mean a neon indicator built into the switch, the burnt bit in the middle of the thin wire you describe is the series resistor -typically a 220k resistor is needed inseries with a little glass capsule of neon gas that glows to provide the 'iam on' indication.

If it goes low reistance the neon lamp will draw a large current after ignition, and may well have been damaged and now not glow as brightly - the metal electrodes tend to eveporate and redeposit on the inside of the glass giving a sivery/blackened appearance. Fortunately it is only an indicator light, and everything else will work perfectly well without it, it can be cut out of circuit if it gives more trouble. If you are bothered the neon capsule and resistor can be replaced in most cases.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back