Want to change a ceiling light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tried changing a ceiling light fitting over to a ceiling halogen light fitting. However, keeps blowing the 5 AMP fuse. (?). Put the old one back up and that works fine. Have checked that the wires are ok on the new one.

Sponsored Links
two things,

you either connected it wrong

the new fitting is faulty

for a drawing see below, obvioulsy you will be using choc bloc / jb and where the lamp is that is where your whole fitting will be

ceiling_rose.gif

also note my signature

2 red wires originally were in a choc block connecting to nothing.
2 earth wires were twisted together going into neutral.
2 Black wires were split going into 2 other terminals ( I assume live).....this appeared to work for the old fitting.....does this make sense?
P.S...This not a light in my house....but something doesnt sound right in the original wiring I think.

A friend suggested testing the new fitting, by wiring to a plug and testing it. Havent done that yet.

Looks like you have neutral - earth reversal. The bare wires (assuming they are connected correctly) should be sleeved with green/yellow sleeving and connected to the earth terminal.

The two reds looks like the live loop. Thats Ok as it is.

The two single blacks should be:

one should be alive when the switch is on, should be marked with red tape and attached to live terminal.

other should be neutral and attach to neutral terminal.

But really you need to check out whether what I have written is as it is in your installation.

Handy with a multimeter?

Sponsored Links
Ive got a WhiteGold, AC/DC MultiMeter...however, never used it and dont know where to start. Im usually really good with things but the multimeter went right over my head.

in respect of the meter, in that case i would suggest you call an electrician

you can not say "sorry" to electricity it takes no prisoners

you could try putting a flex on the new light and plug it in,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back