Fuse Blown due to Kitchen Spotlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 6 LED lights in the Kitchen all connected with separate transformers.

One of the lights was flickering intermittently so I decided to switch the light for a GU10 LED light. I removed the transformer and fitted the new light.

The kitchen lights initially worked and then after a time the fuse blew.

It appears that the fuse only blows when the kitchen lights are switched on and then only after about 30 seconds, not immediately.

I checked the light fitting thinking it could be a short circuit but it all seems fine. I have changed the fitting nonetheless and the problem still occurs. I have also removed the light fitting completely and isolated the live and neutral wires but the fuse still blows. Finally, I replaced the old fitting and transformer and still the fuse blows after the kitchen lights are switched on.

When I checked the connections for the light fitting I noticed that the earth wire was slightly loose and so I tightened this up. There was also some bare earth wire which I have covered with tape.

I am now wondering if the light switch got damaged due to the change in voltage of the lights, which is causing the fuse to blow.

Otherwise, I am at a loss to work out what the problem is and would appreciate any help please.

Sponsored Links
The fuse for all the downstairs lights blows, which is in the main fuse box. It is a flip switch so the switch flips down when the fuse blows and I have to flip it back up again to get the lights working.

What you describe suggests an overload.

This is not likely on a lighting circuit that has been working satisfactorily.

I would guess that one (or more) of the other transformers is failing.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your response. So are you suggesting that it is a coincidence that the problem occurred after I changed the fitting or could this have caused one of the other transformers to become faulty?

Also all the lights seem to be working still if only for a half a minute or so until the fuse blows!

So are you suggesting that it is a coincidence that the problem occurred after I changed the fitting
Yes. Nothing you have done could cause an overload which would take thirty seconds to blow the fuse.
A short circuit, which you mentioned, would blow it instantly.

or could this have caused one of the other transformers to become faulty?
I wouldn't think so other than I presume they are all the same age.

Also all the lights seem to be working still if only for a half a minute or so until the fuse blows!
And then they don't.

OK. Thanks.

I shall check the transformers when I get home tonight. Will it be obvious by inspecting them to check which one/s are failing?

All the transformers are fairly new - fitted within the last year.

Will it be obvious by inspecting them to check which one/s are failing?
Probably not but one may feel warmer then the others.

All the transformers are fairly new - fitted within the last year.
Not long.

Just to be sure -

It is definitely a fuse or MCB which is 'blowing' and not an RCCB or RCBO.
RCCBs and RCBOs have a test button on them.

Definitely MCB

Is there a quicker way of testing each transformer rather than replacing them one by one?

Disco0nnect them one by one. at some point, if it is one of them, the MCB will stay closed! You can always check again by re-connecting the suspect one which should trip the MCB

I took all the bulbs out and hung the wires down and this seems to have resolved the problem!

If one of the transformers is failing then I suspect I shall need to wait until it actually fails before changing it. For the moment all is working well!

thanks to everyone for your assistance and comments

I took all the bulbs out and hung the wires down and this seems to have resolved the problem!

If one of the transformers is failing then I suspect I shall need to wait until it actually fails before changing it. For the moment all is working well!

thanks to everyone for your assistance and comments

Sounds like you have a short on one of them then if simply moving the cables has solved it.

Check all the cables you can see for damage / signs of overheating.

You still have the bulbs in?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back