Fuse board above the kitchen sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am about to buy a new house with the main fuse board an old domino style (sorry visual discription only) above the draining board. It sits aprox 50 cm above the drainer.
Can any one tell me if this is 'legaly' dangerous as the owners see no problem with an exposed set of fuses above a sink (no cover or box either)? If it was located any where else i would just upgrade and rewire because the current wiring/fuse board wont be able to handle the load I will be putting on it let alone have enough sockets etc..

Your advice is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like its very close to the sink, too close infact. you say it has no cover either? so their are exposed live parts? if so thats bad anywhere never mind above a sink/draining board!

the board sounds like an old 3036 wylex type, if your moving in then the first job really ought to be getting the electrical installation up to scratch which could mean rewiring or may just mean a CU change and a bit of upgrading.

the wiring regulations bs7671 arent legally binding, but not following them is likelly to land you in the sh*t if someone gets hurt.

i would be looking into a rewire and which would include moving the consumer unit.

Not legally binding thats unfortunate. I am definitely going to have it moved. I can hear the ching ching of a cash register now lol. Yep a little knowledge is dangerous damn I wish I had done the Electrical City and Guilds in stead of the fitting & Machining and General Engineering! :confused:

So i take it a large move may require the meter being shifted with it? The kitchen is really small with no real practical position so the distance would be significant?

how about a picture? any chance you can upload one onto the post so we can have a better look?

how close to the sink are we talking and is it directly above or to the left/right by some distance? it could well be that it could be left in its current position but its hard to say without actually seeing it.

as i said previously though if your moving in to the house and intend to stay in it for a few years then its well worth getting the electrics up to current standards now before any decorating. what a lot of people dont understand is that it might not just be a case of changing the fuseboard/consumer unit- there might be cables to replace in different rooms and wall chasing to be done, ect....

if you face having to change the location of the consumer unit it doesnt automatically mean a change in meter/intake position infact its unlikelly.

Sponsored Links
I will sort a picky out no problems you may have to bear with me though. We are talking 50cm max straight up on the left hand side of the window directly above the drainer. :S

I am set on a full rewire. The existing wiring is not enough. If I remember rightly it has only five fuse spaces and only four of wich are being used. They are the black plastic cover with ceramic inner and a wire held by two screws. The front has domino spots. I hope this is a better description.

The current position is an eye sore in fact every thing in the whole house will be refit french doors installed, kitchen, bathroom, turkish bath extension on the kitchen the lot.
I intend to stay there a minimum of 10 years perhaps life when i get the marble and granite in lol

the fuseboard you describe is a board that holds rewirable fuses and whilst still aloud by the regulations it really should be changed, especially now as its the perfect time to do it.

you wont have rcd protection of your sockets with this kind of board (unless you have an external rcd unit) which is now a requirment. any shower you fit will need rcd protection on it too and possibly other circuits dependent on how your wiring in the house is installed so its really best you sort this out.

best option is to get 3 registered sparks in (ones that are a member of NAPIT, NICEIC,ECA.....) and get qoutes for the work, make sure you will be getting the certificates (they have to provide them) for work done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back