Fuse Box replacement

I have found BG have a fixed price for a job what ever work is involved and can work out both very cheap and very expensive.

As to 1960 this could mean no earth to lights and be a real problem it could also have been re-wired at some point and be reasonably new.

In the main where some one wants something like shower, kitchen refit, or stair lift and the existing set up is out dated there are two basic ways around the problem. One is fit a second consumer unit for items required other is to change existing consumer unit.

£700 to replace with a 10 way consumer unit with all RCBO trips would be cheap. But for a 6 way with two RCD's it would be quite expensive and so there is no simple answer.

One problem when replacing a consumer unit is faults which have remained hidden for years. When having a wet room fitted 2006 we were given the option of paying £150 extra for a new consumer unit. (Do remember this was extra so taking into account would not need to fit a Henley block and mini consumer unit) I thought this was a reasonable price and advised my dad to accept and get whole unit changed.

However the guy had a problem both with consumer unit and with the builder to whom he was a sub-contractor and he fitted an isolator as a temporary measure instead of a RCD left with promise to return never to be seen again.

The builder also ran off and we had to take over the job not what we wanted. We also found there was no paperwork and other items not complying with regulations. This was really due to trying the get the job done on the cheap. My sister had selected builder on price with no other consideration.

My son and I both feel each other are good electricians yet we will argue quite heated as to how a job should be done. There is no right and wrong as such just different methods to get same result.

So the only real way is get second quote and decide why guy you like.

Sponsored Links
BG electricians are not all unknowledgeable.

AFAIK, if a shower as big as 9.5kW is installed on 6 milli, then it will be considered at risk and a quote is usually raised for rewiring.

Cutting back to "nice" copper may mean extending or replacing the existing cable.

I think your best solution is to turn your power off.

Open the shower pull cord.Prove the circuit is dead, by use of a working two probe/pole voltage indicator
See if the wires inside are burnt or smell burnt.
or if debris/dust has fallen through cable entry hole, jamming mechanisms
Buy a replacement 45A pull cord from screwfix.

Replace said item, and if the wires are burnt, cut back to nice copper. or if cable entry hole is letting debris fall through, seal entry hole
once the covers are back on the new isolator, re-energise circuit
See if that fixes the problem.

Don't renew BG contract or actually trust them to be honest!

Sponsored Links
If that includes Fuse board upgrade, Bonding to water and gas, and rewiring the shower, certificates issued. I would say thats a good price.
Thanks
... but don't forget that (per discussions here), even though that might be a reasonable price for that work, the greatest part of it ('fuse board upgrade') may not be necessary - in which case the price would be excessive in relation to the work which actually needed to be done.

Kind Regards, John

Also don't forget my thoughts on British Gas, they are probably instructing you to have unnecessary work done, overpricing for that work and are likely to leave it more dangerous than it was before they started.
May I add these are my opinions only, but based on my experiences of when I have personally been involved or come across work they have performed.
So heed the warnings and contact two competent electricians for at least a second/third opinion/quote. I would then be interested in what they had to say, if you would be so good to keep us updated.

Interesting what some say about BG. My mother had BG insulate her loft. They came, bashed about, made a mess and bashed into the rising water main in the loft, causing damage to the upstairs ceilings. They attempted to lie and wriggle out of it, until I got involved.

Wouldn't touch them with yours.

Some more of their gongs include Worst Energy Supplier from the Times and Privicy International's Most Invasive Company.

I suppose it's their prerogative to decide what installations they are, and are not, prepared to work on ...

You might suppose that they'd do an inspection before accepting a maintenance contract, and that any future upgrades they deemed necessary would be under the contract.

Pigs flying outside my windows again.

I suppose it's their prerogative to decide what installations they are, and are not, prepared to work on ...
You might suppose that they'd do an inspection before accepting a maintenance contract, and that any future upgrades they deemed necessary would be under the contract. Pigs flying outside my windows again.
Yes, one might expect something like that - but, as well as being reasonable, that would cost them time and money, so ....!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back