fuse changes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just replaced a 5 Amp fuse with a 13 Amp fuse in a spur fuse box which controls the lighting circuit upstairs in my house - is this safe?? The lights are working.

Sponsored Links
Almost certainly not. Why did the fuse blow (was it when a bulb blew or something else), what kind of bulb and what is the load on that part of the circuit (add up the wattage of all the bulbs that don't work when the fuse is out).

You need to go and buy some 5a fuses. They don't cost much! The fuseboard is a good place to keep them (near or ontop, not inside!)

Thanks for that - it was the bulb in the bathroom which is a halogen down lighter that blew and made the fuse blow. I have taken out the 13amp fuse and will get a 5 amp tomorrow.

Ta

Sponsored Links
The preferred sizes are 3A and 13A and a single bulb will not even draw 1A so I would replace with 3A fuse as easier to get hold of.

Reason not to use 13A is most light fittings are only ratted at 5A and using a 13A fuse could mean something blows in light fitting first.

The normal problem is the solder on bulb bases melting and fusing to the bulb base so you can't simply change the bulb you have to change the whole fitting.

In theory all bulbs should have built in fusible link which if the bulb as it blows ionises (Gas conducts electricity causes flash) will blow internal fuse rather than main fuse but of late seems this is not being followed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back