Fused main switch

S

scotteng

Got an extension to wire, currently has an accient mem bs3036 type fuse box, in the property. So cannot easily add rcd protection. Thinking of adding a small consumer box in the extension to cater for 1. 6amp lighting circuit, 2. 16amp radial socket circuit. I understand that ill need to add a fusedt main switch at the point of origin to protect the cables running to the new box....ive only seen 60amp models, which is a bit over the top for the small demand i need.....any suggestions?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Why not just replace the old board with a new Dual RCD (Hi Integrity) or use RCBO's??

The Switched fuse before the CU or before the meter will allow you to isolate the entire installation but it is not a 'requirement' as far as I know, you could call the DNO to remove the fuse, or they may give you permission, or the fuse fairys may come in the night!!!

customer not willing to pay for a new consumer box change.

Not sure if i made my self clear, the proposed new mini consumer box to be placed in the new extension is about 10m away from the supply, i understand that as you cant take meter tails that far away you add a fused main switch at the origin then run cables from this to the new box. ive seen 60amp models but dont really want to run 16mm cable to the new box.

You can get 32 amp switchfuses,
or
fit a smaller fuse in a 63 amp unit

Sponsored Links
Mem, wylex proteus depends how much you want to pay really.
TLC website will give you an idea.

Why do you need a mini consumer's unit in the extension.??
If its just a radial for sockets plus lighting I suggest you:

Provide a 2.5mm radial to the extension, protected by a double pole 20amp RCBO at the main fusebox end.

Run the 2.5mm round to your sockets in the extension
Provide a fused spur (the non-switched variety) with a 3amp fuse in it to provide a feed for the lights.

Job done.

cannot easily add rcd protection.
Why not? A separate 2 way enclosure and RCD can be obtained for £20.

Thinking of adding a small consumer box in the extension
Complete waste of time, money and effort. Just extend the existing circuit.

any suggestions?
Find someone else to complete the work - the questions you have asked so far indicate that you have no idea what you are doing.

thankyou flameport for your constructed input!!! ever thought of a job at the niceic helpline....youd fit in well!!!

i suggest you visit the property and have a look at the current installation before you jump to conclusions!!!

If i knew everything then i wouldnt need to ask for advice....

Are you giving your customer a discount because you don't know how to do the job you are charging them for? ;)

Nothing wrong with learning, and having to ask, but generally people expect not to pay full whack for trainees.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back