Fused spur from existing double socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a floor-to-ceiling bookcase and want to add a couple of striplights to spread light across the back of the unit.
I have an existing double socket here which is part of the ring. I was planning to run a spur off this which would go into a 3 amp FCU. This would then feed the strip lights via an appropriate driver. I can situate the FCU discreetly so its not an eye sore but also accessible to operate the lights. Any objections/comments thus far?

Q: I think I need to raise the existing socket so I can pull out the cable via duct for the FCU and then screw the socket onto the raised plastic box. The duct will be hidden behind the books. Is there a special plastic socket box that will fit over my existing metal box which is set inside the wall?

I'd appreciate your advice with this.

Sponsored Links
I was wondering if someone can provide a steer on the above please.

TBH I didn't follow what you were trying to do. However I got the impression that you might be trying to light up books and this is going to require a source of light in front of the shelves, not in them. Anyway, maybe a drawing would help?

I want to have strip light on the back of my bookshelf for backlit effect.
I have a double socket on this wall that I want to use to provide a spur - into an FCU. I can use the FCU to operate the lights.
I was wondering whether I can convert my existing socket to one which is fitted in a plastic box raised off the wall. I can then have a conduit that goes to the FCU from this. The current socket is flush mounted in a metal box.
Looking for any suggestions on how I have this spur fitted neatly.

Sponsored Links
All I did recently to light my bookcases was to plug in an extension block and hang it at the top on the back. With fitted shelves in wouldn't be the same but it could sit at the back of the highest shelf. At least an extension strip allows you to use lights with a mains adapter plug. Anything else seems overkill if you can't see it anyway.

Can I get strip lights (the ones on a reel and can be cut to size) on a mans plug?

Can I get strip lights (the ones on a reel and can be cut to size) on a mans plug?
All over the place. Haven't bought any recently so I will leave it up to you to find, but there are well known suppliers and ebay. You'd be expecting for example, a strip supplied to a requested length with a 12v plug soldered on the end, plus a mains adapter.

I do like the suggestion of the plug in kit. I am looking into a suitable kit. I need one which will allow me to have two lengths of around 2.4m strips and they will be a metre or so apart.

Please let me know if you recommend a particular vendor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back