Fused spur > socket, On lighting circuit in loft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Now i know this isnt ideal, but what is the best option. I need power to a poe switch in my mates loft. Max 150watts.

There is no mains ring I can spur off, but there is a lighting circuit. I was going to put a 3amp fused spur to a single socket in the loft. I know it's not ideal.... but BY LAW as long as I did the required testing and filled minor works, would this be ok?

I was thinking of labelling the socket stating "WIRED ON LIGHTING CIRCUIT" and "CCTV Socket Only". May even use a locking device on the socket so the plug cant be removed without padlock key.

Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers

Sponsored Links
Yes, it's fine.

You don't need the fuse but if you want the switch...
It's nothing to do with THE LAW apart from ensuring it is safe.
Your warning label is sufficient.

No need for a fused spur, just the socket will be fine despite what a certain person who will be along soon to say otherwise.

Do these need a minor works certificate?

I do have testing equipment... passed down to me... but not sure if its needed?

Sponsored Links
Strictly speaking all electrical work requires a certificate.

You should test to ensure everything is satisfactory so you may as well record the results.

What ever others say, as you say yourself it is not ideal. In fact it is bad practice to put 13 amp sockets on a lighting circuit. Think what would happen if someone later plugs in a 4 way splitter and say a fan heater. Loft plunged into darkness and a foot through the ceiling.

Doing it for yourself is bad enough, but to do this for someone else is totally irresponsible.

I don’t believe there is no ring to spur off. Must be a socket in a room below to spur from. Cable can be taken to the loft behind a wardrobe usually.

What ever others say, as you say yourself it is not ideal. In fact it is bad practice to put 13 amp sockets on a lighting circuit. Think what would happen if someone later plugs in a 4 way splitter and say a fan heater. Loft plunged into darkness and a foot through the ceiling.

Doing it for yourself is bad enough, but to do this for someone else is totally irresponsible.

I don’t believe there is no ring to spur off. Must be a socket in a room below to spur from. Cable can be taken to the loft behind a wardrobe usually.

There is no lighting up there so anyone up their needs a torch. The socket would be padlocked off with labelling.

If they put a heater on it,, wouldnt it trip the 3amp fuse? If that was faulty would it not then trip the MCB?

Just thinking out loud?

He has a newly plastered house. All built in wardrobes, very minimalistic. He doesnt want trunking running up the walls or chasing? So I'm struggling....

No need for a fused spur, just the socket will be fine despite what a certain person who will be along soon to say otherwise.

And here he is, as night follows day, with his usual misguided utterance:rolleyes:

it is bad practice to put 13 amp sockets on a lighting circuit. etc etc etc blah blah blah

This is what he believes in Winston's World. However, it is not bad practise. In fact, BS7671 - The Wiring Regulations - specifically lists BS1363 (ie 13a sockets) as one of the items that may be connected to a "lighting" circuit.

There is no lighting up there so anyone up their needs a torch.

since most lofts are littered with cables and junction boxes from the lighting circuit supplying the roooms below, it is a trivial job to add one or more switches and light fittings up there.

I favour a pull-switch above the loft hatch, but some people prefer a switch with neon on the landing ceiling next to the hatch, so you can see if the lights were left on.

And here he is, as night follows day, with his usual misguided utterance:rolleyes:

This is what he believes in Winston's World. However, it is not bad practise. In fact, BS7671 - The Wiring Regulations - specifically lists BS1363 (ie 13a sockets) as one of the items that may be connected to a "lighting" circuit.

So it it correct to not need a fused spur.

I can literally just wire a socket into the lighting circuit (so long as the testing is all fine), or extra safe for me to put the 3amp fused spur?

There is no lighting up there so anyone up their needs a torch. The socket would be padlocked off with labelling.

If they put a heater on it,, wouldnt it trip the 3amp fuse? If that was faulty would it not then trip the MCB?

Just thinking out loud?

He has a newly plastered house. All built in wardrobes, very minimalistic. He doesnt want trunking running up the walls or chasing? So I'm struggling....

You have already been told the fuse is unnecessary. FCUs are not used on lighting circuits. A 3 amp fuse will have no discrimination against a 6 amp MCB.

Built in wardrobes, bring the cable up inside.

New house, don’t bodge the wiring as the first job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back