spur on a spur in the loft lighting circuit

As a matter of interest, how would you assess the relative risk of doing as proposed and 'the alternative', which would presumably be to plug in a 6-way (or maybe 4-way) extension into the existing socket (and unplug it prior to that inspection!)?
Personally I would see that as effectivly the same set up and hence simular risk.
Indeed (apart, I suppose, from the theoretical additional risk of 'tripping over the extension lead' etc.) - the point being that one would probably 'fail' an inspection but the other wouldn't, despite essentially the same risk.

Of course, the issue gets a lot worse if people use multi-way extension leads in kitchens to avoid the notification required for installing additional sockets.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Well I said nothing about several disk drives, network, RAID etc.
Seems pointless having one without multiple spindles. Or RAID.

And since the N in NAS stands for "network" it's going to have a network adapter.

Which it does have, and a controller which does RAID, albeit only 0 & 1, and, obviously, a CPU to run an OS of some sort.

BTW - it's a server, not a NAS box.

Let me be specific.: It is an HP Microserver N40L with 2 x 3.5" hard drives. Peak load at startup is 40-50W.
Bear in mind that the video does not show a cold start, so it doesn't show the inrush current, nor does it show the system doing a lot, certainly not much processing and hardly any I/O.

But even so, it doesn't appear to be a beast - there are discrepancies in the different figures here: http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13716_div/13716_div.html#Power Specifications but they are promising around 80VA for a fully loaded system, which yours is not.

But clearly we can't tell you to break the rules you must take that responsibility and accept next time an inspection is done it will fail.
As a matter of interest, how would you assess the relative risk of doing as proposed and 'the alternative', which would presumably be to plug in a 6-way (or maybe 4-way) extension into the existing socket (and unplug it prior to that inspection!)?

Kind Regards, John
I noted with some surprise on the electrical safety councils guidance notes for electrical condition report it gave a failure for trailing leads. I would have considered items plugged in were not part of the remit when doing a report.

So house finished not handed over and one does a final inspection and find a load of heaters to dry out plaster with frayed leads does one fail the house?

Clearly before anyone moved in all those heaters would be gone.

If I was sure all under 1 amp then maybe I would install but the fact remains it would still fail.

I have also had problems with an extension lead. The motor mechanic had an extension locked in a cupboard which was not on the plant register. The apprentice being helpful as he saw it lent it to one of the production crews to power a space heater which I had told them they couldn't use because it was 230v not 110v.

Lead was damaged some one got a mild shock and reported it to HSE.

Lucky for me my records we up to date including emails to manager telling him the space heater could not be used. But they really gave me a hard time.

The poor apprentice was sacked. Didn't like the lad but still felt that was a bit harsh he was only trying to help.

At one point the HSE was saying I should have looked in the mechanics locker I then asked the director if he would give me code of safe which made them decide the locker was the same as a quarantine area.

Clearly domestic does not have the same problem. They are not so strict. But the fact remains it really does not matter how safe one still needs to follow the rule book.

The question arises many times where a fuse blows and a normal person can fit a larger fuse in the same holder can we rely on a small fuse being fitted? Where a competent person is in control we can still use fuse wire but not in the home.

I don't have an answer but I do raise the question. Personally I would say if it needs a tool to change the fuse then it's OK to rely on the correct replacement.

But my wife would never allow me to write on a FCU use 3A only unless it was proper etched into the surface.

The point is of course you could fit a whole row of 5A sockets and say they are for standard lamps and that's OK. The same goes for a lenght of lighting track. Never tried to see how many items can be plugged into one lenght of track but I would expect more than 6.

My Gran always plugged the iron into the light socket. It kept the lead out of the way in spite of ironing in centre of the room. I still have the adaptor 5A two pin to BA22d. You should have seen the fuse box. A separate fuse for each item. Lovely polished wood. Fuse holder paxalin with two metal spring clips to hold the wire. Yes they did get a shock every now and again that's why my Granddad wore a cap to move switches with!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back