Fused switch and socket from one existing socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My son wants to put up a wall mounted tv in his flat and I’m trying to think of neatest way to get power to it.
The nearest existing power is a double socket above the skirting in the corner of the room. That already feeds a spur which goes in mini trunk to a fused switch which controls a wall mounted extractor fan. (The room is a kitchen/living room combined).
The fused switch is just about the height of where the TV will go.
If I could put a single socket next to the fused switch that would be quite tidy for the TV to plug into.
My question then is can I change the set up a bit to give me a socket, plus the fan supply, both fed from that one double socket?

Could I use something like I have in my house for the cooker, with a socket, plus a switch for the cooker?

Sponsored Links
Hi,
My son wants to put up a wall mounted tv in his flat and I’m trying to think of neatest way to get power to it.
The nearest existing power is a double socket above the skirting in the corner of the room. That already feeds a spur which goes in mini trunk to a fused switch which controls a wall mounted extractor fan. (The room is a kitchen/living room combined).
The fused switch is just about the height of where the TV will go.
If I could put a single socket next to the fused switch that would be quite tidy for the TV to plug into.
My question then is can I change the set up a bit to give me a socket, plus the fan supply, both fed from that one double socket?

Could I use something like I have in my house for the cooker, with a socket, plus a switch for the cooker?

I am not an electrician...

You can run a supply from the fused spur to a new socket but will be limited to the rating of the fuse in the spur. AFAIK, a 42" lcd TV will only use 0.6amps, the fan probably uses less than 20w , meaning a 3 amp fuse will be fine.

Last edited:
You will need to connect everything to the load side of the fused switch - but that would mean the TV will go off when you switch off the fan.

You obviously do not want that so you will need another switch (fused or not) for operating the fan.

You can run a supply from the fused spur to a new socket but will be limited to the rating of the fuse in the spur.
Opps, please stop calling the Fused Connector Unit (fused switch) a spur; the cable is the spur.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, so I could connect the socket to a new FCU, which then connects to both the existing switch, and the new socket. i.e both the switch and the socket connected to the load terminals of the FCU?

Thanks, so I could connect the socket to a new FCU, which then connects to both the existing switch, and the new socket. i.e both the switch and the socket connected to the load terminals of the FCU?
No, that will still turn off the TV with the fan.

If you are going to use another fused switch then it must be for the fan.

1682254596523.png

Sorry, what I meant was to put a new FCU before the existing switch:

——————————- new socket for TV
New FCU
—————————— existing fused switch re-used —————- fan

I think that gets to the same result but I don’t have two switches which I thought might look a bit confusing.

Sorry, what I meant was to put a new FCU before the existing switch:

——————————- new socket for TV
New FCU
—————————— existing fused switch re-used —————- fan
Ah, yes, same difference.

I think that gets to the same result
It does.

but I don’t have two switches which I thought might look a bit confusing.
Not sure what you mean. Your fused switch IS an FCU.

You could just use an ordinary switch for the fan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back