Fused switched outlet getting hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My immersion heater is attached to a fused switched outlet. The fuse cover is getting hot when the immersion heater is switched on. Is this normal (bearing in mind the load going through it) or does it indicate a fault? I've replaced the fused switched outlet and the wiring between outlet and immersion (it had 4mm cable so I've replaced it with 4mm) and still have same problem. Could there be a fault on the immersion thermostat and the heat is travelling back along the live cable to the fuse?

Sponsored Links
most likely it is a poor connection.

this overheats the cable and damages it. If the copper wire is discoloured, it goes soft and will never make a good connection again, so it will soon cause a poor connection in the new FCU. You have to cut off the discoloured part and re-do it with clean bright copper.

I am assuming you have typical 3kW immersion heater, just using one element, with a 13A fuse, and used a good brand of FCU like MK, MEM or Crabtree.

The 13amp fuse holder does get warm to the touch, especially on the economy seven type of overnight heating element. Most household immersion elements are 3000 watts (12.5 amps) rated or less, so a 13amp fuse in the FCU will do fine on such a resistive load. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back