Fused, timed extractor fan wiring

Yes, ok but as it is not notifiable there will be no jobsworth therefore it is a question of where to draw the line for the OP.
True, but I think we need to be a little careful. Particularly now that so little remains notifiable (in England), I don't think we can/should use non-notifiability (aka 'unlikely to get questioned/caught') as a justification/excuse for suggesting that OPs should 'stretch', or even 'go slightly over', the lines of the regs, should we?
Just OOI - should anyone fit an RCD to this lighting circuit because of the reasons you state, should they also (with their thinking, not yours) also fit RCDs to other circuits in the bathroom because 701.411.3.3 says all circuits etc.?
You tell me! However, I think that word 'all' is probably implicitly present in many regulations, even if rarely explicit (e.g. "(all) cables buried less than 50mm deep in a wall ...."), but we usually interpret it as only being 'mandatory' (even though that's not the right word!) in relation to 'new work'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Yes, ok but as it is not notifiable there will be no jobsworth therefore it is a question of where to draw the line for the OP.
True, but I think we need to be a little careful. Particularly now that so little remains notifiable (in England), I don't think we can/should use non-notifiability (aka 'unlikely to get questioned/caught') as a justification/excuse for suggesting that OPs should 'stretch', or even 'go slightly over', the lines of the regs, should we?
No, that's not what I meant.
It was you who brought up 'a jobsworth'.
I think the work itself is justification.

Indeed, fitting an in-line fan in the loft could be a solution to avoiding the need to fit an RCD.

Just OOI - should anyone fit an RCD to this lighting circuit because of the reasons you state, should they also (with their thinking, not yours) also fit RCDs to other circuits in the bathroom because 701.411.3.3 says all circuits etc.?
You tell me! However, I think that word 'all' is probably implicitly present in many regulations, even if rarely explicit (e.g. "(all) cables buried less than 50mm deep in a wall ...."), but we usually interpret it as only being 'mandatory' (even though that's not the right word!) in relation to 'new work'.
Can't have it both ways.

No, that's not what I meant.
It was you who brought up 'a jobsworth'.
I only mentioned Jobsworth to illustrate what an 'official'/'intended' strict interpretation of the regulation might be. If you diagree with that interpretation, then that's fine ...
I think the work itself is justification.
If it is your opinion that the work in question is such that one would be in strict compliance with the regs without RCD protection, then that's fair enough - and that's the advice you should give (and, I suppose, have given!).
Indeed, fitting an in-line fan in the loft could be a solution to avoiding the need to fit an RCD.
I thought that was what the OP is doing?
Can't have it both ways.
That's not how I see it. As I implied, we would not consider it necessary to RCD protect all buried cables in a house just because we had installed one new bit of buried cable which did require such protection.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back