Futureproofing. Wiring for photovoltaics

flameport";p="1711340 said:
Regarding Part B, a continuous path from the consumer unit (probably on the ground floor) straight up into the loft space is likely to contravene B3 (4), which states:
(4) The building shall be designed and constructed so that the unseen spread of fire and smoke within concealed spaces in its structure and fabric is inhibited.

Isn't that sort via simple fire stopping materials as the cable rises ?

Or chasing in and plaster cover ?

Or trunking with fire stops inside ?

Or concrete board, fire proof board, rcokwool and cement ?

Sponsored Links
And if one single factor confirms the economic lunacy of PV it is that people have to be paid 4-5x what DNOs and electricity companies can make, distribute nationwide, and sell at a profit for in order to incent them to do it.

And also if you want to contravene Part B of the building regulations.

I take what you're saying fp, but my suggestion is about, like my situation where I've access to under the suspended ground floor with cableing from meter cupboard to behind kitchen cupboards.
Boxed-in (un-screwable) cable duct up to airing cupboard.
And up again to loft. with a few un-screwable floorboards in the right places.

I find trying to anticipate and installing cables for the future, as I have done myself in the past, is a surefire way of finding life's eventualities very different to what you expect.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. Food for thought. Would solar hot water need any power supply in the loft?

Thanks again for the interesting information and opinions.

Water heating

Solar-Water-Heating-Diagram.gif

So some wiring might be required such as the pump and control wires.

PV

Solar_and_Wind_Power_Diagram.jpg

Loads of wiring :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back