FYI Erbauer Router

iep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just took delivery of an Erbauer 210C router and thought I'd share initial impressions. It's the 2100w, 60mm plunge model that sells for about £100 on screwfix and nextday.diy.

I was planning to go for the Ryobi ERT2100v that you can pick up from DM Tools for £100 but the Erbauer turned up brand new for £50 on Ebay so I thought I'd take a chance.

As it happens, my colleague recently bought an ERT2100v so we have been able to do a quick side by side.

On balance, the Ryobi is a far nicer tool. The plunge action is MUCH smoother, the lock feels more secure and overall there is much less play in the plunge and fine adjust mechanisms. It is also a bit lighter and has LED lights to illuminate the cut.

That said, the Erbauer has equivalent power and seems to be fairly durable. Time will tell but I suspect it will make an excellent table router and occasional worktop/door trimming tool.

Overall, given I only paid £50, I am happy enough with the Erbauer but if I'd paid the full £100 I think I'd be less satisfied.

iep

Sponsored Links
I've only tried 2 Eubauer products and they were dreadful. Won't be trying any others.

I've seen mixed reviews on Erbauer tools but the 210C router is very well reviewed on the screwfix site (by people describing themselves as tradespeople) so I thought I'd give it a pop.

As I say, time will tell but it seems durable enough. It would just be better if the plung and adjust mechanisms had a bit less play in them.

iep

Thought i'd add my experience to this.

The Erbauer 210C is the same as the Clarke Contractor CR2 (available from Machine Mart). Only difference is the Clarke is yellow.

I bought the Clarke one for doing my kitchen worktops as Screwfix had no Erbauer's left. Toyed with the idea of buying a pro router but at least double the price (£200 upwards) i couldn't justify it given how much i'd use it.

I found it had ample power to do the job, and this was with solid birch worktops. Was working with it for a whole day on and off and it hardly got warm. There was a tiny amount play in the plunge mechanism but totally useable and it did me proud.

Only complaint i have was the baseplate, it is plastic and mine was slightly warped. It was out by about 0.3mm which translates to a fair bit at the end of a 50mm cutter. With the base flat on my jig you could feel the router rocking side to side a little if you forced it.

Couldn't be bothered taking it back for another one so quickly knocked up a temporary baseplate out of 5mm MDF and it was rock solid, no wobble at all and did a perfect job. I'll put a Trend baseplate on it at some point.

Sponsored Links
so what you are saying is, the Clarke is rubbish like the Erbauer, I think a lot of us already knew that.

It's not rubbish, it did what i wanted it to do just fine. At half the price of a big name one they have to cut corners somewhere.

It wouldn't last if you were using it every day, and spares would be a problem.

If i'd had the time to wait for one to come up, i would have probably held out for a used DeWalt or Makita on eBay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back