Which router should I buy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting a kitchen shortly and since I have wanted to buy a router for ages now, I thought I'd treat myself to one as I've got some mason mitres to cut in 40mm worktop.
I've had my eye on the Erbauer 210c 2100W router as it comes with 1/4" & 1/2" collets and after reading the reviews am tempted to buy it as so many people(most of which are professional carpenters and kitchen fitters) have said that this is faultless for cutting thick worktops and other heavy work and the result is brilliant. But, also the common feeling is that is is quite heavy, and for lighter work, probably isn't the right choice. Screwfix are doing it for £99.99 which is my maximum budget really as I won't be using it that regularly, but want a good router.
Can anyone vouch for this particular router, one for value for money and also for the quality of the product. The thing is, if it is too heavy for a variety of uses other than heavier work, does anyone suggest another router for the same price, good for worktop joints, but good for smaller work also. I also like the option of the 2 different size collets which I would like to be part of the kit.
I'd really appreciate any suggestions or recommendations
:)

Sponsored Links
If you are doing wworktop mitres, then you need a router that has a 30mm guide bush, and I don't think that many/any of the cheap ones have this bush available. So make sure to check first

Otherwise you can get the Trend multi base plate which fits all routers and allows you to use Trend fittings and guides

I've got an Erbauer 210C, it comes with a 30mm guide bush and I've done probably a couple of dozen worktop joints with it.

It is pretty heavy, and it's probably not the greatest 1/2" router in the world, but it does fine.

I've also bought myself a cheap 1/4" router for lighter work, mouldings etc. Much easier to use for the fancy stuff!

I use a couple of routers but not for kitchen work. One a 1/2" Makita and the other a a 1/4" Bosch. The Makita is a good workhorse but the Bosch is invaluable because of the micro adjustment on the top - this feature really is a must have for detailed work and once you have used it you won't want to be without it....

Sponsored Links
@ alan2001

It is not polite to jump across someone else's thread simply because the word "router " appears.

Let him have his thread and you start your own

Oops. I've read 'the Rules' now, sorry about that. The forums I've become used to don't have that rule... :oops:

I'll edit and/or delete my post. On with the show. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back