G9 LED bulbs that don't flicker?

Sponsored Links
most 230V LED's include a series capacitor

I've only dismantled a couple but both had a proper regulator.

You might also consider avoiding ones that are dimmable; one way to implement dimmability is to turn the LED on when the mains input is on, which will be inherently flickery. Non-dimmable ones can add smoothing.

I wouldn't have noticed flicker at kHz frequencies.

Do you know what he is using to power these Lamps, was it ust a straight swap from halogens, there seems to have been a lot of recent posts saying they dont work, but i feel sure theres a lot in use that are fine.
The original fittings were bought with CFLs fitted. These have been swapped to LEDs, and work very nicely. Both straight off the mains.

Sponsored Links
Probably the most confused technical term in existence, given that it means unvarying voltage.

Does it mean unvarying voltage ? or does it mean pnly that a variable current is flowing constantly in the same direction.

There are power supplies with outputs rated as "12 V DC eff" which do not have a constant output voltage but instead have an output that averages out to be 12 volts over a very short period.

With halogen ( incandescent ) lights a constant voltage is needed and thus can be DC ( or DC eff ) and with LED elements a constant current is need and this must be DC ( or DC eff )

The original fittings were bought with CFLs fitted. These have been swapped to LEDs, and work very nicely. Both straight off the mains.
Ok thanks, just clicked in you said GX53, I misread it as GX5.3 12 volt for some reason

Does it mean unvarying voltage ? or does it mean pnly that a variable current is flowing constantly in the same direction.
As Detlef said, I think the terminology is potentially confusing, or even misleading. ...
There are power supplies with outputs rated as "12 V DC eff" which do not have a constant output voltage but instead have an output that averages out to be 12 volts over a very short period.
Indeed, and there are countless other situations in which current (and maybe also voltage) will have a highly variable nature (of any waveform - sinusoidal, square wave/pulses etc.) but with a superimposed (constant, or essentially constant) DC offset which means that the polarity of the voltage and/or current never 'crosses zero' (i.e. "current always flows in same direction").

In my opinion, to use a single descriptor ("DC" or "AC") to describe that situation is inadequate and potentially confusing/misleading. Although polarity of voltage is always the same and current always flows in the same direction, to describe it as "DC" fails miserably to describe the full situation, yet it cannot, in toto, be described as "AC" if neither voltage nor current ever 'cross zero' I would say that the only really sensible way of describing that is as having at least two components - one being 'constant DC' ("offset") and the other(s) being superimposed "AC" of one of more amplitudes, frequencies and waveforms.

Kind Regards, John

Although polarity of voltage is always the same and current always flows in the same direction, to describe it as "DC" fails miserably to describe the full situation, yet it cannot, in toto, be described as "AC" if neither voltage nor current ever 'cross zero'
Why?

Welcome, if you like, to another inadequate term. Alternating doesn't necessarily mean changing direction, or changing polarity. If you could add a constant DC offset to our LV supply of 400v you'd find that the voltage alternated between 75V and 725V at a frequency of 50Hz.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back