G9 bulbs?? So many!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I bought these lights from B&Q

https://www.diy.com/departments/carmenta-brushed-chrome-effect-6-lamp-ceiling-light/1700097_BQ.prd

they sell these lights with it:
https://www.diy.com/departments/dia...ble-light-bulb-pack-of-4/3663602668664_BQ.prd

But I bought these instead as I wanted cool white:

WOWLED G9 LED Light Bulb, 3W (30W... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HG3JH5Q?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

why don’t they fit in though? They are also G9?? But the bottom is different for some reason

Attachments

• 4D299468-A3B4-4D72-9FB1-7C00D5A4FD55.jpeg
    4D299468-A3B4-4D72-9FB1-7C00D5A4FD55.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 392
Sponsored Links
Why are the fittings different though if they are g9?? It should be standard

I don’t feel comfortable re sizing tbh not good with this stuff

just want cool white g9 instead - any other ideas people?

The difference in shape is due to the need for a driver to control the current that flows through the LED elements.

There has to be space for the components of the driver and a heat sink to disipate the heat produced in the driver.
0x104.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes it’s the connection point that’s stoping the LED ones going in

the light manufacturer really ought to make clear it’s only g9 halogen that’ll fit

I believe led are also more efficient?
Plus they are cool white which is my preference

just strange they are not standard in this day and age!

Your not the only one to be caught out with G9 bulbs, the quartz bulbs can shatter so quartz bulbs not only G9 need to be in glass so if they shatter hot bits can't set your carpet on fire, this is not required with LED, so some G9 lamps are designed for LED only, for a dimming switch to work, or any other electronic switch, where there is no neutral to the switch, a small amount of current needs to pass through the bulb without the bulb lighting, bulbs without this are marked non dimmable. However the G9 is so small there is not the room for the leak through resistor or capacitor so it has to be added to the fitting, a 4 uf capacitor is not that small and getting it to fit inside the fitting is a squeeze. Then even after fitting dimmable bulbs, and the capacitor the bulbs still from time to time pulse.

So my lights do have covers over the bulb, but the heat from a quartz lamp is quite a lot, and it was bought fitted with LED bulbs, so not sure what size if any quartz bulbs can be fitted?

GU10, E14, BA22d, all no problem even with non dimmerable bulbs using electronic switches, just G9, and only one lamp with G9, if I had a few lamps could try swapping bulbs, but if I buy 5 new bulbs and they don't work, then I have 5 bulbs to put in the bin.

I hate G9 lamps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back