G9 Halogen or LED?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I'm looking for a new light fitting for my new kitchen, the room itself unfortunately has very mimimal natural light so I'm looking for a light that's going to offer a nice bright light for the room

I've seen a bar spotlight with 4 fittings that take a max of 40w halogen G9 lamps.. According to the reviews it is like a floodlight in the room and really bright..

http://www.diy.com/departments/verbis-satin-chrome-effect-4-lamp-bar-spotlight/179602_BQ.prd

But a few people have said that g9 bulbs don't last 5 minutes so I'm a bit reluctant..

For a little more I can get an LED light fitting with 4 LED warm white lights at 4w per light

http://www.discounthomelighting.co....&language=en?gclid=CITjloCd6sgCFROeGwodSzoHzw

What I'm wondering is if anyone with experience of the LED lights know how good or poor the overall light is that they give off?

I appreciate the obvious cost difference but I want to find a happy medium between cost and actual performance..

Hope this is the right forum, thanks a lot in advance for any replies

Sponsored Links
I've had a new kitchen and insisted on LEDs (which I sourced myself). I have 11 recessed in a geometric pattern on two circuits (plus under unit lighting) giving 7 different lighting combinations/moods - when all are on the kitchen is bright and purposeful (various combinations of one or two on give softer moods). This is a 5m by 3m kitchen. For the kitchen I used Sebson GU10 15MD5630, white ceiling/light walls/units/floor - if you're using darker colours you might need a higher wattage.
I did a lot of research and can personally swear by Sebson .. I have installed about 15 of these around my home over the last three years and not one has gone down.
At 5W per bulb its a no brainer - LED has it all and the heat output means you neither get roasted when standing under them nor run a fire risk (they do get warm but not hot)

blah blah blah blah blah.

All we need to know is this:

I have 11
Unless your kitchen is the size of ones in vast country homes and palaces you do not need 11 lights which are actually designed to be any good at the job of lighting up rooms. That you need 11 proves beyond any doubt that the lights you have are not fit for the purpose of lighting up rooms.

Sponsored Links
Maybe we need to think out of the box with LED technology.
Everyone who has seen my kitchen agrees that the lighting setup is impressive .. it may not have worked with bright halogens/chunky energy efficient fluorescents but it DOES work very nicely with LEDs, giving a soft uniform and effective light across the user space; with the tendency that halogens had for 'blowing' it would have been a nightmare (forever changing damned bulbs - I know , I've been there) but with new tech LED this works very well .. not an opinion but the reality of where I am. The installer also said that my plan was crazy but after seeing it in situ he agreed that he had been wrong and that the idea works very well indeed. 55W for a bright but welcoming light aura ... why not?

Get something designed to light up rooms, not a bunch of spotlights.

dabomb3k, Please ignore this ▲

Dabomb3k; I would get the first stylish light you mentioned from B&Q that uses the G9 fitting and then get 4 x of these. The are very bright, give a good quality of light, and I am using them myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back