G9 LED bulbs that don't flicker?

I haven't yet seen a mains voltage LED that doesn't flicker

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
makes and models please

Since most manufactures do not state a flicker rate, or claim no flicker, on data sheets then the only way to be sure that a make and model does not flicker is to write to the supplier and hope they have accurate information about there driver module and are prepared to release it to you. Or buy a sample lamp and test it.

Many manufacturers of LED lamps buy in LED drivers to fit in the lamps and may have no definitive information about the the waveform of the current fed to the LED element.

Some LED lamps depend on the LED element being fed with a pulsed current and thus pulsed light to obtain the rated brightness. Drive an LED with twice the rated current in pulses, ( 33% ON ~~~ 67% OFF ) and the lamp appears to be twice as bright, average current is less than the rated current.

Mine is complaining about it with a lamp we have in the hallway right now. If I, for example, wave an outspread hand in front of it I can detect a strobing effect, but other than that, nada.

Maybe their eyes are young and fast, and ours are old and slow.
If you use your peripheral vision it is more obvious. Actually I can see it. My son bought some flickerless GX53s based on reading the reviews on Amazon and they seem to work great.

Minisun seem to have a good rep - flicker-wise, at least
My only [known] experience of this brand has been auto on at dusk/off at dawn for CCTV and they actually flashed at something like 0.5 to 1 sec for maybe 2 or 3 mins [according to CCTV recordings] while switching particularly going off, tried several replacements but went back to CFL for that job.
We also installed some 'minisun' 10W floods off awaybay for about £4 but they were in plain brown boxes so don't know if that was the 'real' brand.

Hey everone, just to update. I've tried out some Diall ones, they're much more chunky than the previous ones I was using and I think they've got more circuitry inside. The strobe effect is much much less noticeable and give off a much nicer light. They're a bit more expensive too but very much worth it.

makes and models please

I think the last ones I got were Philips. Sorry I don't recall the model numbers! I also have some "TCP" branded ones but I can't recommend them because they don't seem to last long.

I have seen some elsewhere with really terrible 50/100Hz strobing, but none of the ones I have at home do that.

My son bought some flickerless GX53s based on reading the reviews on Amazon and they seem to work great.

Do you know what he is using to power these Lamps, was it ust a straight swap from halogens, there seems to have been a lot of recent posts saying they dont work, but i feel sure theres a lot in use that are fine.

I think the last ones I got were Philips. Sorry I don't recall the model numbers! I also have some "TCP" branded ones but I can't recommend them because they don't seem to last long.

I have seen some elsewhere with really terrible 50/100Hz strobing, but none of the ones I have at home do that.
We have tried Philips G9's and [I think] GU10's, one was poor the other was not too bad but still showed on CCTV. I cant remember which was which.

Without delving too deep into the storage boxes, I see a selection of: Philips, Tesco, Sainsbury's, Osram, Varta, Helix, Prolite, Powerlink, Wickes, TNC. G9, GU10, B22, ES's, flood lamps and more.
They all flash at various speeds, notably 50 & 100 Hz but also higher frequencies: 1K, 10K, 12K, 16K & 22KHz spring to mind.
We'd really love to find the ones that don't flash.
We frequently use 12V types on a dc power supply or even gelcell.

Actually 12V floods work really well on gelcells and we often use a 12AH for temporary work to run a 10W all night, a 50W runs for at least 2.5 hours at full brilliance and very usable for another hour or two

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back